CBR1100XX.org Forum

I need a switch

OMG

Enlisting the collective wisdom and experience of the group, I am needing a button or some such switch to operate an accessory horn on a motorcycle.

Not wanting to use the existing horn button, this will be a separate add on. 

Not much I can say about it right now except it will be loud and be whatever sound you want.

Just need the button.

May be a hijack, but I installed a Stebel Nautilus http://www.stebel.it/stebel/products.asp?IDserie=14&uso=1&tipologia=moto on my bird and used existing horn switch. Installation requires a relay, but otherwise pretty straight forward. It is the primary horn, the OEM is now a paperweight somewhere.

4 hours ago, OMG said:

Could you use a 137 DB horn on your Jeep?

No, definitely not.  Actually, I'm not sure if the horn button works.  Have never used it.  But it beeps when I arm/lock it, and it's already too loud.

Shit, I guess I should check the bike horn too.  We're not NY, we don't use the horn here.

• Upvote 1

I use it pretty regularly, mostly for people playing with their phone sitting at a green light.  And for the Asian that's stopped or crawling down the road trying to figure out where they are/where they're going.  I often wish I had an air horn to really wake them up, 137db electric might work too.

I ran across a 'history of the car horn' thing that said Klaxon was the first electric car horn and he was inspired by driving in NYC....apparently the trend stuck.

10 hours ago, OMG said:

Could you use a 137 DB horn on your Jeep?

I haven't horn shopped in a long time, but prices seemed to vary wildly.  How much was this one?

My F250 horn has not worked for years. I like that I just hear the locks click when I push the button on the fob. If I get home in the middle of the night, if the diesel clattering up the road doesn't wake them, neither does the horn alarm.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

No, definitely not.  Actually, I'm not sure if the horn button works.  Have never used it.  But it beeps when I arm/lock it, and it's already too loud.

Shit, I guess I should check the bike horn too.  We're not NY, we don't use the horn here.

I've avoided more accidents with my horn than my brakes. In driver's ed they teach you to "cover the brake" in certain situations, I've found that covering the horn is just as useful. When you see someone about to do something stupid, a quick tap of the horn usually gets their attention enough to correct them before shit gets out of hand.

I've only found myself in those situations maybe twice.  Now I just observe it, move/slow, and just avoid it.  I'm pretty certain I haven't touched the horn in either Jeep.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

None of my Fords honk when I lock unless I do a double tap.  I like that set-up.

I can turn it off, but I'm usually walking away and want the confirmation.  Double tap on the Jeep disables the alarm, lock only.

Looking at reviews has convinced me to skip any of the above listed horns on Amazon!
I bought one of these and mounted it on the Yamaha FJR1300 using the stock hardware.

easy unplug and unbolt, swap horns and rebolt and plug in, done 

Not super load but a big improvement on the stock meep-meep sound.
A plus that the name is ZKXX !

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-30W-Single-Sound-Auto-Car-Snail-Horn-Waterproof-Electric-Loud-Air-Siren-for-Vehicle-Motorcycle/32832228704.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.90.74981c3drKtWlX&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0_10130_453_454_10618_536_10890_317_537_319_10059_10696_10084_10083_10547_10546_10887_10307_321_10548_322_10065_10068_10103_10884_10545,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=9daa9489-5195-4a67-8b22-e220f5fdaa17&algo_expid=9daa9489-5195-4a67-8b22-e220f5fdaa17-11

Think I will do the same on the Civic. Was looking for something louder but everything I see is cheap made junk with bad reviews.

I miss my Nathan real train horn that I had installed on my Rideline with separate compressor and 3 gallon tank. But that was $1,500.00 in cost.
I still have the compressor and tank for some future install. 

Edited by John01XX
add link

What will be ready this summer is small, high powered (200 amp), and will make any sound you can put onto a card in wav.

Train - ooga - horse - car crash - anything

On 4/8/2019 at 7:03 AM, SwampNut said:

It seems like anything with a compressor and no tank/valve would take a bit to spin up and get loud.

The air horns use a rotary vane compressor, the delay is fairly negligible.