Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DBLXX

Weight Watchers

Recommended Posts

Started last Sunday - getting old, need to drop 50 pounds...would love to be under 200. 

 

Need structure and extreme embarrassment of the looming weekly weigh in. 

 

At at Bonefish Grill 2X this week....hard hard hard when you are on the road as much as me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start looking for your options to eat out and not eat junk.  A salad covered in Ceasar isn't a salad though.  Most restaurants can accommodate simpler means with less grease, salt, and general junk.  Do you get to choose places to eat, others?  Are you eating alone or in groups?  Are you willing to plainly state that you eat on your own terms, or choose whatever type of food others are eating?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Weight Watchers or any other supervised program is not a recipe for long term success.

 

Honest, no bullshit advice- you've lost weight before, so you've been to the place you need to be. You just have to learn how to live there for the rest of your life. Fuck a diet or a program, change the way you live or you'll be back here next year with the same thread.

 

PS- The "on the road" excuse is bullshit. I was away from home for 5 days for RacerXX and I drank like a fish for 3 of them, I lost 2 pounds. Change how you live, wherever you are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redbird said:

 

PS- The "on the road" excuse is bullshit. I was away from home for 5 days for RacerXX and I drank like a fish for 3 of them, I lost 2 pounds. Change how you live, wherever you are.

 

Hey! I do that sometimes, liquid diet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of that, particularly on the permanent diet change versus "on a diet."  I've been on the road many times and manage to eat properly.  I recognize, however, that Dave seems to have external pressures like societal and business expectations.  That's why I asked the questions I did.

 

Absent those (and I give no fucks, I just say "no I don't eat those things), I can very easily maintain on the road.  I can pack a few basics with me, and then I have an Uber/Lyft drive to a Whole Foods or something like that to pick up things to throw together at the room.  I can eat an avocado for early meal (I don't eat at scheduled breakfast/lunch/dinner any more), some beans and salad for afternoon, etc.  If you're not pushed to eat out, then I'd say it's easy.

 

If you have those societal pressures, then you have to look at what restaurants offer the best options, or request good options.  I am almost never told "no" for special no-garbage meals.  I also have my list of places that are not ridiculously bad.  Panera, Chipotle, and many other chains are decent and plentiful.  There are always salad joints where you can make your own and douse it with balsamic, pepper, and italian herbs instead of greasy salty bullshit.  Even high end places steak joints will cook up veggies to order.

 

I disagree on WW not being a good recipe for GETTING STARTED on a permanent change.  I strongly believe that a drastic, fast change is the way to start.  I did a five day fast and then 187 days of extremely strict eating, and that was great for me.  WW is a smaller change, but still something that forces you to change a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noom.com.  Ashley's using it and it's working very well.  The bits I know:  It lets you select how much coaching/'judgement' pressure you get.  It counts, and I think tells you, how many calories of different food types to eat per day.  It tells you how many steps to walk each day, you track them using your phone or smart watch.

 

As for easy food she's using Freshly.  They deliver "healthy" cold packed and supposedly never frozen foods.  Kinda like a TV dinner combo plate.  She says they're pretty good for prepared meals.

 

I haven't asked how much weight she's lost, but unless my arms got longer in the last couple weeks she's become measurably smaller in diameter.

 

Edit: It's almost like banging a stranger 🙂

Edited by superhawk996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the hard truth. I know it and feel pretty much the same way - but I needed some outside motivator and this was my choice. It’s more of a jump start and hoping it works. I’ve stuck to it perfectly this week with 3 days on the road and eating out.  In the back of my head it’s been the Sunday weigh in and also disappointing my wife. 

 

I’ll let you know what the scale says tomorrow after I step on it. 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However you elect to start on this journey, good for you! The real secret lies in perseverance to maintain what amounts to a lifestyle change. Savor the little victories that will come every time you make a decision that bolsters your commitment to the journey, this quest for improved health and longevity. One of the first challenges is getting past the third day of any diet--it's also one of those victories to be savored. A change in diet is half the solution; a change in activity (exercise) is the other--the yin and yang of a healthy lifestyle. Re: exercise, do something, anything, even something simple every day--it really works. In time it becomes second nature; the benefits accumulate like compound interest. Do it for yourself, and those you hold dear, for all will benefit. Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DBLXX said:

I appreciate the hard truth. I know it and feel pretty much the same way - but I needed some outside motivator and this was my choice. It’s more of a jump start and hoping it works. I’ve stuck to it perfectly this week with 3 days on the road and eating out.  In the back of my head it’s been the Sunday weigh in and also disappointing my wife. 

 

I’ll let you know what the scale says tomorrow after I step on it. 

 

Dave

 

 

Yeah, stop doing that. Take a hard look in the mirror, decide you hate what you see enough to do something and change. What you're doing is a start, and possibly a good one, but until you take full responsibility for you, nothing will change long term.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ironmike said:

However you elect to start on this journey, good for you! The real secret lies in perseverance to maintain what amounts to a lifestyle change. Savor the little victories that will come every time you make a decision that bolsters your commitment to the journey, this quest for improved health and longevity. One of the first challenges is getting past the third day of any diet--it's also one of those victories to be savored. A change in diet is half the solution; a change in activity (exercise) is the other--the yin and yang of a healthy lifestyle. Re: exercise, do something, anything, even something simple every day--it really works. In time it becomes second nature; the benefits accumulate like compound interest. Do it for yourself, and those you hold dear, for all will benefit. Best of luck!

 

Thx - appreciate that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent.

 

Yesterday I was talking to someone who told me some variations of the WW plans tell you to assign 0 points to certain foods, and that's just fucking retarded.  Don't do that.  Apparently most fruit and even eggs are "unlimited."  Don't do that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Excellent.

 

Yesterday I was talking to someone who told me some variations of the WW plans tell you to assign 0 points to certain foods, and that's just fucking retarded.  Don't do that.  Apparently most fruit and even eggs are "unlimited."  Don't do that.

 

 

Yep...fruit, veg, eggs, chicken breast - 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awful.  That's how to guarantee people will eventually fail, and/or become dependent on WW.  You realize that counting any food as 0 is just bullshit, right?  I support anything that helps you get started, and you've done well.  But this 0 thing lends to what others have said about WW being a gimmick.

 

Either way, keep up the good work, but don't ever think any calories "don't count."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plan Ashley is using assigns different 'points' for calories from different food types.  I'm no pro, but it seems logical.  Assigning 0 seems dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes no sense at all to me, works for some.  I just log calories and micronutrients.  Macros are mostly pointless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 9:30 AM, DBLXX said:

 

Yep...fruit, veg, eggs, chicken breast - 0

According to WW I survive 3-5 days per week on 0 except for morning cappucio. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't keep in reefer anything that you actually like to eat.

Avoid restaurant food like plaque. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, tomek said:

Don't keep in reefer anything that you actually like to eat.

Avoid restaurant food like plaque. 

 

Still haven't gotten laid I see.  Might be hard in the cab of an 18 wheeler...so I get it.  My apologies. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBLXX said:

 

Still haven't gotten laid I see.  Might be hard in the cab of an 18 wheeler...so I get it.  My apologies. :)

I don't sleep in the truck, I'm local guy.

 

Btw, what part of my post you don't agree ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomek said:

Don't keep in reefer anything that you actually like to eat.

Avoid restaurant food like plaque. 

 

I don't disagree with anything from this post - but that's because I don't know what reefer or food like plaque is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tomek said:

According to WW I survive 3-5 days per week on 0 except for morning cappucio. Lol.

 

I'll call bullshit on you only eating 0 point foods.

 

Although I have no clue what cappucio is....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reefer is marijuana.  It gives you the munchies.  Cappucio is what movie mobsters ask each other, hey, you get it, you cappucio?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cappuccino is commonly referred as cappucio in Italy. Capisce ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...