CBR1100XX.org Forum

16/44 sprocket combo

ptxyz

check it out guys, an actual blackbird motorcycle post!  ha ha!

anybody done this combo?  i just did and am thinking about removing a link from the chain (as i recall, 110 links is stock).  i'm close to the end of adjustment with a new chain (jt sprockets & chain).

i was previously at 16/45.  like the acceleration and low speed throttle response but, wanted a bit lower rpms on the freeway.

another thing that was unusual about this job (not my 1st blackbird chain/sprocket rodeo) is that there's a bit of play in the front sprocket (both rotational on the splines and wobble side to side) when the bolt's tightened to the recommended 40' lbs.  don't recall feeling any play as i removed the old sprocket but, wasn't looking for it.  measured the thickness of both old and new, they're the same in that regard...

i plan on riding from san jose to the laughlin river run in a few weeks.  i'll be solo on the way down, by far my longest solo ride...  wife's a bit apprehensive, me a bit less so...

also, even a cheap bastard like myself should replace this rear  (roadsmart2, about 1/16" above the wear bars) before departing, right?  about 1000 miles round trip.

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

both old and new are jt.

several years ago, i went to tahoe on a similarly worn tire (continental motion - last time i buy one of those...)  a tiny, around 1/8 - 1/4", strand of wire managed to cause a slow leak i battled on the way home.  thanks for the reality check, mr. xxcess...

by the way, it's shaping up to be a full palate of motorcycling for me this late winter / early spring (thanks to more vacation days than the wife...).  a few weeks ago, i did this on my klr near death valley!  by far, the most challenging riding i've ever done.  i never wanted to know what it's like in the mud on a 400+ lb bike that goes straight ahead while the bars are 45 degrees to the side...  poor bike's still waiting for repairs / maintenance...

if you want to see more;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aWdx1iiwhsRNJbyf7

you'll probably need a gmail...

IMG_2657.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_338c.jpg

IMG_2664.JPG

• Upvote 1

I love my bird, I am old and heavy and have a rather aggressive throttle hand, average 3500 Mi. on back tires, ( i am 67 yrs old and weigh 270 ) buddy that chain is shot, I would not go around the block on it, in fact I changed my Primary sprocket to a 15 tooth, just for a little better launch. With my 175lb. brother driving and using Dynojet magic this bike gets 12sec. 1/4 miles runs

and seriously, I don't care what the MPG is. 

Dynojet magic....so that's what it takes to make a Blackbird slower than a Goldwing.

And that chain you say shouldn't even go around the block is new.

i think you mis-understand.  regular length chain, new, but smaller sprockets.  i'm thinking i need to pull a link or two to compensate...

put another way; anybody have to shorten a stock length chain when gearing down?

I have only gone up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket.

Doing this, lets me use the standard lenght chain. The axle, is forward a little bit.

Anyway you do it, the marks on the swingarm will now be for reference only.

Pulling the axel forward will shorten the wheelbase slightly, and in therory, you might turn in a little better.  But not enough to worry about.

I would shorten the chain, only it you think that you will run out of adjustment before the chain wears out.

As to the tire.  I often put a new one on, if i think it could fail during a long trip.  I just hate worrying about it.

You could always remount the old tire later to use it up.  ( but i never do)🙄

It looks like you might have enough room for the life of the chain, if not you can always shorten it later.  I agree with worrying about the tire, change it and put the old one on Craigslist for a couple of bucks.

• Like 1

JT sprockets??  You are a cheap bastard. 😀

Actually, I'm sure they are fine for street duty.  I tried a couple on the drag Bird (16T), and found them to be weak.  Broke 6 teeth off of the first one.  Not sure how many races that was.  Then 3 teeth off of the second after just one race.  Sunstar or Vortex for me.

A couple thousandths of linear play on the shaft is normal.  The splines should be tight enough for practically no rotational play.

Edited by jon haney

On 3/31/2019 at 5:02 PM, ptxyz said:

i think you mis-understand.  regular length chain, new, but smaller sprockets.  i'm thinking i need to pull a link or two to compensate...

put another way; anybody have to shorten a stock length chain when gearing down?

I run 16 front 44 rear and the chain is 108 links 

Works great for my needs at 1700m above sea level - power wheelies in 1st no problem.  DO you allready have a speedohealer?

• 3 weeks later...

interesting brainmacza.  i was about to remove 2 links, for a sanity check i moved the axle all the way forward and it seemed it would be way too tight.  i may be able to as the chain stretches but, not right now.

a speedo healer is on my wish list.

thanks for the info, jon!  i didn't realize their poor reputation.  so far, so good but, there is a bit of a whine at freeway speeds.  no abnormal wear, i've yet to notice.

put a new rear angel gt on saturday.  installed a volt meter / charging port unit (cig. lighter + 2 usb) and dash cam today.  think she's now in good shape for my ride to the laughlin river run later this week.

sucks, i can't read / post as much here as i used to.  boss has decreed we're not to use work computers for personal stuff...

Edited by ptxyz

When I was looking to re-gear my Duc I came across a conversation about sprocket sizes and better/worse combinations.  There was something about how many times a chain roller hits the same sprocket tooth as well as some potential harmonic issues.  I'd found a writeup or chart that showed my intended combo to be on the bad side so I went with a different combo that was about the same ratio but supposedly better.  I don't know how much truth there is to it or how bad a "bad" combo is.  Some swore by it, others said no biggie.  Maybe your whine is a result of a bad combo, who knows.