CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas filler pm

redxxrdr

God daughter's Ninja cant be fueled. Gas cap won't open.

I stopped in a locksmith to get lube recommendations. 

I got two suggestions.

A product called Houdini, and triflow.

Houdini to clean, a small , small , amount oh triflow to lubricate.

I checked my bikes. Both were stiff to rotate the key, had to push and wiggle the cap to open.

I opened each cap, covered the tank with a cloth, the sprayed Houdini into the upright key slot.  Lots of dirty crap came out.

I then used a little triflow in the key slot, the movable angular ring and the two wing latches.  What a difference.

I think that i will have to set nikki's tank vertical to clean the key tumbler. But i hope to do the same process for her.

Just another thing to check at riding season.

• Upvote 1

Tuf-Glide is phenomenal for knives, keys/locks, and small things like that.  Doesn't leave any shit behind.  It's very expensive, but you use so little of it.

3inOne dry lock lube is great for cleaning, as it sprays a lot with good force, and is cheap.

Tri flow is at any hardware store.  I had never seen Houdini before.  It was a recomended product by a larger local lock / locksmith shop.

They recommend using very little tri flow after cleaning with Houdini.

I had a couple times last year, where I didnt think that I would be able to refuel.

I feel much better now.

Of course the Ninja may require more effort.

Her boyfriend seems to be good for her. But some of his mechanical efforts concern me.

Edited by redxxrdr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Are you still using milk?

You could use milk, whole milk, as a cleaner. Cheese, or more particularly cheese whiz, is a superior lubricant for gas caps.

Axle grease should last longer than some fancy spray lube, maybe as long as spray cheese.

Mine's a little rough, should probably give it some love.

Thread title had me thinking this was about Dave filling his cars.

Never heard of Houdini product before, will keep an eye out for it. I like that a locksmithing product is named after an escape artist.

I once bought some graphite powder lube for a sticky gas cap lock and accidentally dropped way too much in, what a mess. Key would not go into lock fully until I extracted the plug of powder at the bottom.

I have the same issue with the gas cap on my 2012 ZX14 and it is a known issue on many Kawi's since they share the same cap. Never had a problem with my 2008 zx14.

Houdini is a good product and I have also used a this product with good results-

https://m.3inone.com/3inone-lock-dry-lube.php

Edited by RC Randy

I used WD-40 for years. I must have been lucky, as I never had issues With at least ten bikes.

I don't tempt fate now and use cheese whiz. Cheddar works best below 40 degrees. It's messy when the temps rise so Carlos won't like it. In locks anyway....