CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question for Power Commander Experts

jon haney

I have a PC3 USB that I bought new for my 99 Bird.  Worked great.  Would this unit work okay on a 2001 Bird, California model?

I am certainly no expert, I started out with a box stock 01 bird. The Honda dealer where I had been a customer since the 1960's had recently bought a new Chassis Dyno and had sent there Best Tech to school to learn how to use it. instead of adding one component at a time and marking the results. I chose to use the Shot gun method. I was on a hurry because I had bragged to  a friend that I could get around the north end of Lake Lavon on a 32 mile known coarse that started and stopped at a designated Gas station In McKinney Tx . He was on a mildly tuned GXSR 750 remember this is 2002,. 

I/ we added the current model PC3 , a speedo healer, went down one tooth on the primary sprocket, added a exotic four into one exhaust, put in a new K&N air filter and started tuning for midrange on the DynoJet Chassis dyno. I only had a week to get all this done, so I told the Tech to do his best for me .It was a total mismatch, I could run away on the straits, but he had me in the corners. Guts and riding skill prevailed though. I beat him but just barely.  a week later I wnt back on the dyno, was putting 153 HP to the ground.

A month later, my younger and lighter brother was able to get consistent  lo 12's with it.  which but in with the current Busa's of the time.

I was running 10.5 on a bone stock bird when I weighed 242 lbs.  Furbird was never set up for 1/4 so it would probably have blown up before it got to the big end (12/49 gearing.)  I have an old PC2 but never hooked it up, even with the K&N and a full D&D system.  Bike always ran fine for me.

7 hours ago, jon haney said:

I have a PC3 USB that I bought new for my 99 Bird.  Worked great.  Would this unit work okay on a 2001 Bird, California model?

If that Bird has an O2 sensor, which I think it will being a Ca model, I think it has to be deleted.  But I don't know if the delete is just as simple as disconnecting it or if something has to be done for the computer to be ok with it disconnected.  And if the bike still has the cats the air/fuel ratio needs to be kept in a reasonably proper area to not create a problem.

My '01 is 49 state so I can't confirm, but I think an '01 Ca model would have O2 & cats.

Edit: I think I remember reading on their site about the O2 issue, I feel too lazy to search, but the info should be there.

Edited by superhawk996

7 hours ago, srideaux said:

I am certainly no expert, I started out with a box stock 01 bird. The Honda dealer where I had been a customer since the 1960's had recently bought a new Chassis Dyno and had sent there Best Tech to school to learn how to use it. instead of adding one component at a time and marking the results. I chose to use the Shot gun method. I was on a hurry because I had bragged to  a friend that I could get around the north end of Lake Lavon on a 32 mile known coarse that started and stopped at a designated Gas station In McKinney Tx . He was on a mildly tuned GXSR 750 remember this is 2002,. 

I/ we added the current model PC3 , a speedo healer, went down one tooth on the primary sprocket, added a exotic four into one exhaust, put in a new K&N air filter and started tuning for midrange on the DynoJet Chassis dyno. I only had a week to get all this done, so I told the Tech to do his best for me .It was a total mismatch, I could run away on the straits, but he had me in the corners. Guts and riding skill prevailed though. I beat him but just barely.  a week later I wnt back on the dyno, was putting 153 HP to the ground.

A month later, my younger and lighter brother was able to get consistent  lo 12's with it.  which but in with the current Busa's of the time.

12's.......?

On 3/8/2019 at 4:07 PM, blackhawkxx said:

That thing must have left hard.  I always wanted to try a bike with bars, it must be a different feeling.

It is awesome.  Pin the throttle, drop the hammer.  Just make sure you're pointed straight down track, and bars are adjusted to make it go straight. 

• 2 weeks later...

The cats are deleted. Runs way better with the hindle hi mounts on it. Bracket raced my scirocco yesterday and got consistant pretty quick. I'm thinking pc3 stickier rear smaller front sprocket strapping the front. That should bring me some good times. Not gonna race the scirocco again, to much time and money into that car to beat it up. Just had to acid test it....had a blast nothing broke, made it to second round

16 hours ago, dubbird said:

Btw. I know a guy who makes the coolest floormats in the world...zoom in on the pic in the last post. Pm me if u want his info

Yeah, pretty cool.  Would probably be nice in a jeep.  Any idea if he puts in the "buttons" to mate with the OEM snap-in pins?  I'd never use loose mats.

They are powder coated aluminum with the diamond surface buzzed down and cut/bent to fit the floor perfect. They don't move around. He currently makes them for jk wrangler. The jl is in the works. Email dean.getchell@gmail.com he can put whatever logo you want in whatever color....mine were about 190 shipped for all 4 mats. Tell him Chris with the scirocco sent you.

Edited by dubbird