CBR1100XX.org Forum

DRZ125 Carb/ Fuel Issues

Speed99

This might be little off the wall, but I seem to remember hearing about a malfunctioning tank vent (blocked, collapsing tube, etc.) that drove some folks to distraction thinking the issue was solely with the carb. The tip-off was that there was a very subtle sucking sound when the gas cap was loosened after the engine stalled.

23 hours ago, Speed99 said:

I fucking hate carbs. I hate it even more that a perfectly running bike 7 days ago is now not functioning as it should. Can’t wait to get rid of it and get the new bike that has FI. 

I tore the carb down and cleaned it all out. Seems like the problem is the float bowl and needle valve adjustment. I can’t find the sweet spot. It either won’t run or runs and won’t idle. I’ve exhausted my knowledge. Ordered a Chinese copy for $23 to see if it will get me thru the weekend. Then I can worry about a carb rebuild later. 

Carbs are not that complicated and even more so when there is only one,  you are missing something.

• Upvote 1

They're not complicated, just like figuring out a computer issue isn't complicated for the right guy, and fuck that shit because computers suck way more than carbs for me.  There are "simple" things that I'm not good at so I can see where someone would give up on a carb, even tho they're "simple" devices.  In reality they're a simple device conquering a complex task, the more you know about them the more complicated they become.

LONG story short, I can see why people hate carbs, even tho I don't.  And I still don't think the issue with this bike is in the carb, but maybe.  We'll know once he installs the new one.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, Speed99 said:

Bike started and ran great the other day. The most recent change was to dial down the idle a little bit, but like I said. It ran fine.

What action/changes were involved in the "dial down"? Was it hot or cold when these changes occurred?

Pulled plug and it was fine. Tried the cheap Chinese carb and it fired and idled. (Yes!) Then bogged down on rev. (Shit!)

I got it now where it idles with the old carb, but once you ride and come off throttle it wants to die. Have to keep maintenance throttle on all the time. I am out of time. Race is tomorrow. Sooooo. We shall see. Might be a frustrating day but then it will go up for sale with a slight discount to the buyer. 

New CRF will be delivered this month. 

5 hours ago, Speed99 said:

come off throttle it wants to die

My guess is the idle mixture being a little off.

If it gets worse as it warms up it's too rich, which is my guess despite not enough info.  If it gets a little better as it warms then it's a little lean.

Edited by superhawk996