CBR1100XX.org Forum

Metal Rescue or Evapo-Rust?

RXX

I just drained a couple year-old tank of gas out of my bike and there is some rust patina inside. Both are too expensive to buy 6 gallons to fill the tank. Is one demonstrably better than the other?

I used metal rescue. 2 gallons, it took the patine right off. The hardest part was plugging the big hole for the fuel pump. I ended up filtering the first gallon and partially submerging the tank in one of those Rubbermaid bins. Awkward but it worked. 

Well, never mind. After taking the fuel pump off, what I found was a crust of varnish or something that flew right off when hit with a high-pressure hose.

XX?

if so, I would change the filter while there.  I the filter has a 180 degree fuel line on one end, then there is a cheap replacement at your flaps.  If metal 180, a replacement was $50.00 a couple year back

20 minutes ago, redxxrdr said:

XX?

if so, I would change the filter while there.  I the filter has a 180 degree fuel line on one end, then there is a cheap replacement at your flaps.  If metal 180, a replacement was $50.00 a couple year back

Way ahead of you there, buddy. Have one in my cart right now. $55 and shipping. About to order the assembly gasket also. Like I said, it is not rust, and easy to clean out. Air gun and BB’s ought to do the trick. 

Might use Slappy’s warm milk recipe just in case.

Use the straight filter in the useful threads page (I had Oreilly's match it up) and curve your own hose.  Or cut off your curved metal part and attach two straight hoses to either end.  No sense in spending all that money on a fuel filter.

If you use the straight, make sure that your line is submersible.

Been researching to help Bill change the fuel pump on the k1300.  All posts discuss fuel submersable line.

My local flaps know about it, but dont have it.

And dont blow into that 180 fuel filter to see if it is clogged.

You will take a bath.

And yes, I am that fucking stupid.😢

Huh, the filter that came out was the straight one. I KNOW it is original since I bought the bike at 2700 miles. Already bought the crooked one. Prolly the last one I'll get for the this iteration.

OK, KNOW may be a stretch, but pretty damned sure.

When researching my replacement, it seemed that either type could be used.  You needed to pull the pump to determine which was used.

In my case, i bought a straiggt, and had a curved.  I bought a ebay spare pump that also has a curved.

The good news is, the curved will work perfectly.

I never understood why mine was clogged. 55k miles, spotless tank, and the brillow pad stuff was clean too.

But replacing it fixed a bunch of stumbling issues.

2 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

I never understood why mine was clogged. 55k miles, spotless tank, and the brillow pad stuff was clean too.

But replacing it fixed a bunch of stumbling issues.

It's also possible that there was a different problem that was accidentally fixed while doing the filter.  The best way I know of to really know is to do a flow test or just blow through it and see how much resistance there is.