CBR1100XX.org Forum

A few Bird items (PC3, seat, etc.)

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

OK, I thought someone had posted the wireloom fix with the large block still showing on a bike titled as a 2001 once.

If "large block" is the squarish grey plug where the PC3 connects maybe it was mine.  I think mine has that plug, just haven't gotten around to verifying.

2 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

If "large block" is the squarish grey plug where the PC3 connects maybe it was mine.  I think mine has that plug, just haven't gotten around to verifying.

No, I'm talking about the test block that gets cut off and soldered together.

1 minute ago, XXitanium said:

No, I'm talking about the test block that gets cut off and soldered together.

Pretty sure they all have that.  The later ones ('01-up I think) are mounted a little higher and supposedly sealed a little better.  But as I discovered "sealed" just means a little less leaky.  My 01's test connector wasn't in the same place as all the photos I'd seen.  It was then pointed out to me that all the later bikes had them in that higher up location like mine, and when I was searching there was less info about the later bikes because they're less prone to having the problem.

11 hours ago, Redbird said:

FWIW and to further cloud the issue, my '01 did not have an o2 sensor, I know that for a fact. I don't believe 49 state 2002's did, either. CA bikes are a different story.

Soooo, it should work on later models, but not if it has O2 sensor, right?

Forgot to mention it has a wire to tap into the throttle position sensor.  This allows you to tune for better mileage at partial throttle (highway droning) and tune for best power at full throttle.

Edited by jon haney

Seat is sold.

The rest of the parts, and a couple not shown here will be at RacerXX.

Edited by jon haney

18 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Soooo, it should work on later models, but not if it has O2 sensor, right?

I imagine so since it's plugging right into the injectors.  In theory it should work on anything that has the same injector connectors and same or similar impedance injectors.  If the company says it won't there might be something else to it I'm not thinking of, or just marketing/stupidity.

And technically it would work with an O2 sensor in place, but the ECU would be constantly fighting the PC based on the O2's feedback.  Unplugging the O2 should put the computer in open loop allowing you to tweak fueling based off of the ECU's base programming, but I assume it would set a fault and trigger the FI light.

Edited by superhawk996

30 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I imagine so since it's plugging right into the injectors.  In theory it should work on anything that has the same injector connectors and same or similar impedance injectors.  If the company says it won't there might be something else to it I'm not thinking of, or just marketing/stupidity.

And technically it would work with an O2 sensor in place, but the ECU would be constantly fighting the PC based on the O2's feedback.  Unplugging the O2 should put the computer in open loop allowing you to tweak fueling based off of the ECU's base programming, but I assume it would set a fault and trigger the FI light.

Yep.  Might be a very interesting map, if disconnecting the O2 sensor.  Lot's of negatives, I'm guessing.

That particular engine is in closed loop in very narrow operating range, like low rpm and small throttle opening. 

We're are talking about early millennium technology, not 2019.

Wide range and full range closed loop operation in cars & trucks existed long before 2001 so the ability obviously existed if they wanted to implement it.  The catalytic converters on the XX would be short lived if there wasn't a decent control over the A/F ratio throughout a large range of throttle & RPM.  Whether they chose to use the O2 throughout that range vs. relying on base programing I don't know.  The people at DynoJet and another that I can't remember the name of both state that the O2 has to be deleted to use their products so there's obviously some issue with the O2 signal and ECU reaction when something else is altering the fuel delivery.

14 hours ago, jon haney said:

Yep.  Might be a very interesting map, if disconnecting the O2 sensor.  Lot's of negatives, I'm guessing.

I think if the bike was properly dyno tuned it could run perfectly under fully warmed up conditions without the O2, but the cats might not like it so they'd probably be short lived.  But who does a dyno tune session while wanting to retain cats?  Ideally there would be a PC type device that would work with the O2 when appropriate and ignore it when needed.  Or ideally, a device that would work with a wide band O2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, Loki said:

have an 03... almost bone stock,  but could use better mileage....yea that....

After I bought my 99 from here. I bought a PC3 and had it custom tuned by our local dyno jet tuner. I did not get any better gas mileage. It did smooth out the throttle a lot. So I do have a map for Yoshi slip ons with a stock air filter. I can share.

• Like 1