CBR1100XX.org Forum

Left Front Turn Signal

tecman

I am having an issue with my left front turn signal.  For a while my turn signals did not start flashing the first time I engaged the toggle.  I figured it was just an old bike (I have an '02 Bird) and since they still worked I ignored it.

Just recently my left front blinker will not come on when the turn signal is not engaged.  The right one works fine and is on all the time.  The left one only comes on when the turn signal is engaged, otherwise it is dark.

Any ideas for an easy fix or what the problem may be?  I am not a great mechanic or electrician and probably just need to make an appointment at the shop, but I wanted to ask around here first.

Thanks.

Let me see if I understand you.  Are both lights on when the bike is running?  Does each flash when the turn signal switch is engaged?

I don’t recall if the lamp is single or dual filament.  A dual filament bulb can partially fail.

2 hours ago, tecman said:

I am having an issue with my left front turn signal.  For a while my turn signals did not start flashing the first time I engaged the toggle.  I figured it was just an old bike (I have an '02 Bird) and since they still worked I ignored it.

Just recently my left front blinker will not come on when the turn signal is not engaged.  The right one works fine and is on all the time.  The left one only comes on when the turn signal is engaged, otherwise it is dark.

Any ideas for an easy fix or what the problem may be?  I am not a great mechanic or electrician and probably just need to make an appointment at the shop, but I wanted to ask around here first.

Thanks.

The filament for the running light probably burnt out; one bulb with two filaments, a brighter one for turn and dimmer for running light.  Probably just needs a new bulb.

Try cleaning all the sockets and all the wiring harness plugs and all grounds with whole milk. If you are flushing the braking system with milk, you can do this while the milk is "cleaning" all of the brake line interiors, master, LBS components, and calipers etc.

52 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Try cleaning all the sockets and all the wiring harness plugs and all grounds with whole milk. If you are flushing the braking system with milk, you can do this while the milk is "cleaning" all of the brake line interiors, master, LBS components, and calipers etc.

Yeah, gonna get right on that...

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

...so, you're making a poultice? 

Topic Update

I replaced the left turn signal bulb and it worked perfectly.  No problems.  I decided that since I bought a package of two lights I would change the right bulb to make them consistent.  

Bad idea!  

After removing the mirror and putting the new bulb in the flashing element would not work.  The bulb would be on for normal running but when I engaged the turn signal the front did not flash and the rear flashed really fast.  I switched bulbs to see if that was the problem and it was not.   

Shit!

Just got back from the shope, $80 to fix a loose ground wire in the right front turn signal.  

Lesson learned.  With an "older" bike like my '02 Bird if it ain't broke don't fix it, change it, mess with it. 

3 hours ago, tecman said:

Just got back from the shope, $80 to fix a loose ground wire in the right front turn signal.

Almost positive they lied to you and it was the power connection to the turn signal filament side, most likely just the contact in the bulb socket needed a little tweak or cleaning.  If the ground was bad you'd have no light, or both filaments would light very dimly if the circuit allows it to pull ground through the rear turn signal.

• Upvote 2

I don't think they were lying to me.  The right light was not nearly as bright as the left light when not engaged as a turn signal.  It was probably about half as bright as the left one.

I have been taking my bike to this shop for over 10 years.  They installed my Penske and my Race Tech front fork springs, as well as all tune ups.  I have never felt like I was taken advantage of or given false information.  My signal is working just fine now, they did not need to order new parts, so I am happy.  And $80 was not that steep for me.

Ahh.  You said it was "on for normal running light" and I assumed that meant it was normal light output on the running light.  Dimly lit would indicate a loss of ground, and I'll bet the right rear was also dimly lit but there's no reason you'da thought to look at it.  $80 seems steep to me.  When I see stuff like this I wish I could live near everyone that has a small easily cured problem, that's the kinda shit I fix in my driveway for a beer.....and since it's my driveway I usually end up supplying the damn beer.  Maybe I should rethink my business approach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the left side. I was tired of having to replace it after grinding several down cornering. It hits pretty hard after the peg feelers are worn down.

48 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I removed the left side. I was tired of having to replace it after grinding several down cornering. It hits pretty hard after the peg feelers are worn down.

You obviously forgot to properly lube it.  A nice coat of spray cheese should last at least one session.

32 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

You obviously forgot to properly lube it.  A nice coat of spray cheese should last at least one session.

Fuck! From the "how did I miss that" category....I'll have to dig through my spare parts bin to see if I can reinstall one....