CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake pad info needed

Steve Smith

Discovered just today my project '01 XX is in need of new brake pads front & rear.  Looked up what OEM ones cost through a discount on line Honda dealer. Jeez, not exactly cheap at $36.10 for a rear set and $36.77 for each side in the front plus shipping.

Jaws in England sells EBC sintered (?) pads for $30.77 for each set plus shipping from England. Sintered pads to me sounds like aggressive pads that'll chew up rotors and will possibly cause brake squeal which is unacceptable!

Any advice which brand and type is recommended for that OEM feel and performance is appreciated. Stock stopping performance is just fine for me.

Steve

Basically all pads are sintered. It's just the method for manufacturing the pad.

You're only saving about $25 on a full brake job.

Last time I did them, stockers weren't available so I ran the EBC's. So far, better feel and braking. 

• Like 1

I have used the EBC hh pads on my xx for over 50k miles. As good or better stopping and wear as the OEM gave. No damage to rotors..

i have EBC ceramics ( green type?) on the SV. They came with a caliper conversion kit.  Good performance and wear, but next time, I will use the HH.

Take time to clean the rotor button while you are there

I ran Galfers on the SuperHawk, no complaints.  They suggested different types front & rear, one was the green and I think the other was black.  He suggested a less aggressive pad for the rear which I think was the black.  The Galfer pads look more like automotive type material and they say the rotors last longer with them.  No clue on price.

HH pads seem to be everyone's go-to, no idea if they're actually better in some way or maybe it's the racer's choice so the street guys use them.  Way back I read a long article about pads and the effects of different materials, but don't remember the specifics.  Some have more initial bite but less progression as the pressure goes up, some are the opposite.  Some do better with high heat like hard track use.

Tho kinda spendy they can last a really long time, depending on how you ride, so it's probably not a place to look at the cost as a priority.  Any will work fine for most conditions, but rather than take a user's suggestion without reasoning for their choice I suggest a little research and choose according to your needs/wants.

Edited by superhawk996

Unless you are an extreme rider, use the bike for track days. Etc. The EBC  HH compound pad will be the pad for you. front and rear. 

For quicker brake- in I taped "sand Screen "  to a  pane of glass to scoff the surface so that they will seat quicker.

I switched to synthetic Brake fluid ten years ago to avoid moisture accumulation

009.JPG

How do you manage to pass on bad info so often?  EBC HH is the go-to track day pad, not just said by riders, that's what EBC says.  And synthetic brake fluid absorbs moisture, it basically says so right on the bottle.

An organic or semi-metallic pad would be less than ideal for hard use, but they're good for normal riding.  There are different flavors of HH, but in general they're an all around pad that's more 'race inspired' but still good for street use.

All brake fluid is synthetic.  Seriously, go find a natural-based version of brake fluid, it hasn't existed in a very long time.  Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are some variation of polyethylene glycol.  That's it.  "Synthetic" on the bottle is a marketing gimmick, and all PEG is hygroscopic.  DOT 5 is silicone, also synthetic, and is NOT hygroscopic.  It is the only one that can't be mixed with any of the others.  Switching to 5 requires all new seals and flushing the system completely.  It's likely that the above is just someone falling for a marketing gimmick with zero value.

Got in touch with Jaws in the UK again after I saw even higher EBC  HH   pad prices on ebay. Since I'm ordering a windshield from them they gave me a nice price of $90.34 for all 3 sets. She said she'd ship them in the large box the shield will be in so no shipping charge. These are EBC HH pads.

Since the bike only has 13,125 miles on it, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the original pads, perhaps the second set. Pretty worn down. Pulled all three calipers off today and cleaned the hell out of them.  Got some ugly looking brownish-orange sludge out of them. Yuck. Ordering all new stainless brake lines soon. Figured I'd use what ever type brake fluid Honda recommends.  What's a couple hundred more dollars on this project. Geez!

12 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

EBC EPFA pads are the recommends for extreme usage, ie track days/racing.  EBC GPFAX are race use only and not certified for highway use.  EBC does not make the GPFAX pads for a Blackbird.

What!  What's wrong with EBC.  Don't they know that the BlackBird is a finely honed track weapon.  How dare they not offer race-only pads for it. 

9 hours ago, jon haney said:

What!  What's wrong with EBC.  Don't they know that the BlackBird is a finely honed track weapon...

...that's overweight and could actually use race brakes?!?

• Upvote 2