CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain reaction

tomek

"Levered onto the sprockets"?!!!  Who would do such a thing?

But I guess it could happen. In any case, I reckon the chain coming apart tore up the guides, plugged the oil pickup and starved the crank for oil.

I've been into a few Honda engines but I've never seen a chain break like that or chain guides shredded. Could any of you with more experience  comment on that? Maybe a really worn chain run for thousands of miles with a tensioner that gave up long ago?

Tomek seems to have at least a fundamental knowledge of motors and wrenching. But, late at night while tired sometimes even good wrenches make bad decisions. Whether it was a mistake doing the top end work that damaged the chain, or the rod self destructed I'd like to know.

Inquiring minds and all....

11 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Tomek seems to have at least a fundamental knowledge of motors and wrenching. But, late at night while tired sometimes even good wrenches make bad decisions. Whether it was a mistake doing the top end work that damaged the chain, or the rod self destructed I'd like to know.

Inquiring minds and all....

Well, I should have taken  pics of totally plugged oil pick up screen with very fine plastic from guides. It is crystal clear what has happened. At least for me.  

On 2/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, superhawk996 said:

Maybe the chain was levered onto the sprockets and some initial damage was done that then damaged the guides.  

Perfect example why you have uncanny ability to piss people off. You don`t hesitate to open your mouth without knowing shit on particular subject. 

In this particular engine it is physically  impossible to install cams, chain, etc without talking the sprocket off from at least intake cam. First you install cams in correct position , the sprockets have to be on, there are no markings on cams. Then you have to remove sprockets and go from there. 

The engine has crossplain cankshaft, you have to follow factory manual to the tee or you`ll never get cams in place. Traditional for inline 4 method of piston 1 in tdc position won`t work. It has to be in 105BTdc, etc. 105 BTDC is pretty much the only position when there is no load on cams from springs wanting to spin them.

26 minutes ago, tomek said:

Well, I should have taken  pics of totally plugged oil pick up screen with very fine plastic from guides. It is crystal clear what has happened. At least for me.  

I understand the screen was plugged. But again, did the rod destruction lead to the chain damage?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tomek said:

Perfect example why you have uncanny ability to piss people off.

Especially you because you can't handle knowing that a Cuban knows stuff you don't.  I didn't claim that was how it was damaged, someone asked how they can become damaged and I gave one way that I've seen it done.

A decent person would just say I didn't lever it on so I don't know how it broke, or something like that.  Or say that with this motor the chain can't be levered onto the sprocket because there's not enough room to, or for whatever other reason, instead you insist on being a fucking asshole about it.

TIAIBTHIAE

15 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I understand the screen was plugged. But again, did the rod destruction lead to the chain damage?

The whole destruction event happened in only 2 seconds, obviously there were unimaginable forces and temperatures going on PLUS this is a totally unique super special motor with the most special OEM production line titanium rods Yamaha ever put into a production line motor; there is no way we'll never know why it happened.  Hell, it's a miracle it didn't lead to a black hole opening up and swallowing the track.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Is this honest question or are you trolling ?. let me know. I`ll send you more elaborate answer in PM. 

31 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

The whole destruction event happened in only 2 seconds, obviously there were unimaginable forces and temperatures going on PLUS this is a totally unique super special motor with the most special OEM production line titanium rods Yamaha ever put into a production line motor; there is no way we'll never know why it happened.  Hell, it's a miracle it didn't lead to a black hole opening up and swallowing the track.

Lol!!!!!

2 minutes ago, tomek said:

Is this honest question or are you trolling ?. let me know. I`ll send you more elaborate answer in PM. 

Its again a question you haven't answered. Was there shrapnel in the case that could have damaged the chain? If not exactly how did you damage the chain?

34 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Especially you because you can't handle knowing that a Cuban knows stuff you don't.  I didn't claim that was how it was damaged, someone asked how they can become damaged and I gave one way that I've seen it done.

A decent person would just say I didn't lever it on so I don't know how it broke, or something like that.  Or say that with this motor the chain can't be levered onto the sprocket because there's not enough room to, or for whatever other reason, instead you insist on being a fucking asshole about it.

TIAIBTHIAE

I`m done being decent person with you. I`m a Scorpio, I give people benefit of doubt till you use it. Then I`m done with you.

I don`t understand why you have to speak on every possible subject without often knowing shit. On every possible subject in Garage, Pub, whatever. 

Just now, XXBirdSlapper said:

Its again a question you haven't answered. Was there shrapnel in the case that could have damaged the chain? If not exactly how did you damage the chain?

Are you serious or not ? Honest question. If answer is yes I`ll send you more info via PM because I dont  wanna deal with certain annoying fuckhead .

1 hour ago, tomek said:

Then I`m done with you.

You've said that a bunch of times yet you keep quoting me, asking stupid questions, making stupid statements, hurling stupid racial insults...  Your lust for me is crystal clear, just own it and you might at least get some respect.  I wonder if your mechanic dreams are as bad as Dave's presidential dreams.  Having my beautifully perfect rock hard uncut Cuban manhood boring you out to a big block multiple times a night must be traumatizing.  Your lust is different than Dave's, he's being taken by force where you're probably having people hold me down so you can take a hard ride.

Edited by superhawk996

I've overestimated your intelligence.  Btw, I put your bro back on ignore.

He is unrepentant moron, I've had enough of him for the rest of my life.

Feb 18, 2019 - Today you might need to run some errands, Scorpio, but they might prove difficult for a number of reasons. The errands could be personal or business related. Communication may be temporarily blocked. Messages may not be delivered or you could be playing phone tag. On days like this, you need to make a special effort to keep cool. Nothing is so important that you have to drive yourself crazy.

Ignore, perfect!  I've only been responding to his questions/statements anyway, and had pretty much decided to just start ignoring those, but now nothing I say will lead to another shit show.  He's almost as crazy as the other Tom.

And the fact that he uses his sign like....oh, never mind, it's not surprising.  I don't think I've ever heard someone do that, it's funny.  Also, according to the 'experts' (and at least one girl I can think of) I'm a great fuck buddy match for a scorpio, maybe that's why he gets so hot when I speak up.

11 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Feb 18, 2019 - Today you might need to run some errands, Scorpio, but they might prove difficult for a number of reasons. The errands could be personal or business related. Communication may be temporarily blocked. Messages may not be delivered or you could be playing phone tag. On days like this, you need to make a special effort to keep cool. Nothing is so important that you have to drive yourself crazy.

heh... I'm a Virgo, and we Vorgoans don't believe in that horoscope bullshit. Almost as bad as religion.