CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain reaction

tomek

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I'd never noticed that button and for some reason it just hit me.

Yeah, I'd never used it, on any forum.  But on an RV forum with light traffic, I decided to try it, because there are SOOO damn many sub-forums with just a message or two.  So then I decided to try it here, and unfortunately read this crap which I'd avoided opening at all, considering the OP.  Lesson learned.

I'd make a "your mom" joke now, but then, that would be, you know, kind of creepy.

49 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

which I'd avoided opening at all, considering the OP

I guess I shoulda known better, but figured it was a completely different deal than the usual threads and thought he would be different.  I truly thought he was seeking an answer, or maybe just playing a fun game of 'guess what happened', either way I didn't expect such a clusterfuck.

Despite my conscious desire to be fair and honest I know that the past will come though in my posts to him.  On a scale of 1-10, or however you want to quantify it, how much of my prejudice do you think I put out to him?  And that is out there for anyone else willing to chime in, I'm just trying to learn.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, superhawk996 said:

The crank journal temp went over 600 long enough for the web to hit 600 pretty far from the journal and there was more than just bearing material gone, the evidence is clear, enjoy your feelings.

Just as expected you failed to explain part of my post in bold. You just resorted to your typical Cuban bull shit when confronted with hard evidence. 

18 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I did, you can't comprehend.

No, you did not. Respond to bold part of my previous post or you are not man enough to admit you were wrong. 

On 2/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, superhawk996 said:

And that's the last question I'll answer from you 'till you answer my questions.

And acknowledge that I was right about the clogged pump inlet.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:54 AM, superhawk996 said:

I guess I shoulda known better, but figured it was a completely different deal than the usual threads and thought he would be different.  I truly thought he was seeking an answer, or maybe just playing a fun game of 'guess what happened', either way I didn't expect such a clusterfuck.

Despite my conscious desire to be fair and honest I know that the past will come though in my posts to him.  On a scale of 1-10, or however you want to quantify it, how much of my prejudice do you think I put out to him?  And that is out there for anyone else willing to chime in, I'm just trying to learn.

I'm going to go with a "1", at least to start with.  Clearly Tomek didn't like it that you even posted in his thread at all, so he automatically took offense to anything you said.  Why he didn't just put you back on ignore is the baffling question to me.

16 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

image.png

Why I'm not surprised. Your broo run of ideas how to defend his theory, so we came to this.

He either refuses to learn something new, or has a problem admitting he was wrong.

2 hours ago, tomek said:

Why I'm not surprised. Your broo run of ideas how to defend his theory, so we came to this.

He either refuses to learn something new, or has a problem admitting he was wrong.

I doubt he's even read my theories and what he posted has nothing to do with defending anything.

I invite education and don't at all mind being proven wrong, I'll even entertain unproven reasonable evidence.  Since you refuse to have an honest conversation it's impossible to get anywhere useful.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I doubt he's even read my theories and what he posted has nothing to do with defending anything.

I invite education and don't at all mind being proven wrong, I'll even entertain unproven reasonable evidence.  Since you refuse to have an honest conversation it's impossible to get anywhere useful.

Deflection, deflection, but no response whatsoever to my post in bold. Why I'm not surprised.

My last attempt to pound something in your head.

The picture of the "clearance" between the big end and crank.  More the 1/2. Inch. How do you think it happened. By riding around the race track at 14  k rpm for 30 minutes, or when bearing sized some sort of "thermonuclear"reaction happened and shit melted, ignited in matter of seconds. ?

I gotta admit when I opened the engine my jaw dropped when I saw this.

IMG_20190205_185808158.jpg

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:
On 2/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, superhawk996 said:

And that's the last question I'll answer from you 'till you answer my questions.

And acknowledge that I was right about the clogged pump inlet.

I have answers, do you?

6 hours ago, tomek said:

Why I'm not surprised.

Because you don't have enough intelligence to get to that point?  Just a guess.  I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, tomek said:

my jaw dropped when I saw this.

Your mom does that as soon as I'm in front of her, so that's actually the first believable thing you've ever said!

On 2/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, tomek said:

Deflection, deflection, but no response whatsoever to my post in bold. Why I'm not surprised.

My last attempt to pound something in your head.

The picture of the "clearance" between the big end and crank.  More the 1/2. Inch. How do you think it happened. By riding around the race track at 14  k rpm for 30 minutes, or when bearing sized some sort of "thermonuclear"reaction happened and shit melted, ignited in matter of seconds. ?

I gotta admit when I opened the engine my jaw dropped when I saw this.

IMG_20190205_185808158.jpg

I can't imagine how the top end work you describe could have dislodged something that would have damaged the chain pictured. What type of shrapnel was floating around the engine when you tore it down? Anything large enough to damage the chain as pictured?

Did the failure lead to the oil pump pickup clogging as the described?

On 2/7/2019 at 3:27 AM, XXBirdSlapper said:

I can't imagine how the top end work you describe could have dislodged something that would have damaged the chain pictured. What type of shrapnel was floating around the engine when you tore it down? Anything large enough to damage the chain as pictured?

Did the failure lead to the oil pump pickup clogging as the described?

Unless you dropped something without realizing it, I guess. But I gotta agree that it doesn't seem likely the top end work would do that tot eh chain.

As you look at cam sprockets and the sprocket on the crank are there any indications of something getting lodged under the chain? Just speculation, but it seems to me that something had to get caught between a sprocket tooth and the link plate, forcing the plate to flex out of plane. The flex may have just fatigued that plate and the oscillations from high-rev operation finished the job sometime later.

Anyone have other thoughts to contribute, preferably about Tomek's chain instead of his mom?

I'm also very curious about it.  There's obvious damage to several links, but without seeing all the parts there's no way to say why.  Even with the whole motor in my hand I don't know if there would be a way to know why it happened.  Your guess of something being dropped in while doing the work makes sense and it was my first thought, but living for another 500 tack miles after that doesn't quite jive.  Maybe the chain was levered onto the sprockets and some initial damage was done that then damaged the guides.  It's also possible that when the rod went the shock load snapped that link, but there appears to be too much damage for the link to be an after-effect unless he continued to run it to get off the track.  It's also possible that everything was done perfectly and the chain just broke for no good reason.

• Like 1