CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain reaction

tomek

Damaged camchain                                                                                                                       

IMG_20190119_165510597.jpg

It actually went from everything is fine to wtf in about 2 seconds. Anyone wanna take a guess what happened ?

Edited by tomek

The filter has a bypass that should let the oil keep flowing, but it coulda plugged the oil pump's intake.  More likely, something got through the bypass and landed at that bearing, assuming the other bearings are ok.  The obvious signs of mega heat there tell me it wasn't a 2 second ordeal, there was probably something going on with that bearing for quite a bit longer and it went unnoticed.

Edited by superhawk996
  • Like 1

In a world filled with ignorance and idiocy about mechanical things, the true cause could be almost anything.  Assuming this is not one of your personal bikes, I'm going to go with "Too long of a wheelie with not enough oil in the crankcase".

Edited by jon haney

47 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Wait.  Is that piston a little more "domed" than normal?

No, not really. It got overheated and ring groves closed up.

3 hours ago, sluggo49 said:

I'll start with a distinct ignorance about the internals of these engines:

Shredded the cam chain guide, plugged the oil filter and spun the bearing.

What's my prize?

Well, very close.

The powder like plastic from camchain guides clogged  screen in oil pick up tube. And Boom. 

Edited by tomek

That's the cause of the bearing failure, but what caused the cam chain guides to shred?

I've seen broken ones, but never shredded.

What motor is that?

Edited by jon haney

I apologize, chain is damaged , I should have taken better picture. On the left side in shaded area you can see small piece of metal sticking out. 

Plugged the pump's inlet; I WON!  But since I'm on ignore I won't be getting a prize😪

But if that's the only damaged bearing it wasn't the plugged inlet alone that killed it, some of that plastic probably got to that bearing.

With an inadequate flow and pressure, that bearing didn't require a piece of debris on the land to cause it to seize.

I guess I'm most amazed by the can chain failure. Had the chain been making any noise? Did you miss a WFO shift?

Wow!  Didn't see the spur on the chain.  Hard to believe the chain didn't completely break.

Extra noise might have been hard to notice.  Especially if the bike has a loud exhaust.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:18 AM, sluggo49 said:

With an inadequate flow and pressure, that bearing didn't require a piece of debris on the land to cause it to seize.

I guess I'm most amazed by the can chain failure. Had the chain been making any noise? Did you miss a WFO shift?

But if it wasn't debris at that bearing why is that the only one damaged?  It could just be that it's the one at the far end of the path so it got more starved than the others, but that's a lot of damage for just a general starving, assuming the others are not damaged.

Edited by superhawk996