CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dana 60 Rebuild?

rockmeupto125

I have the tools and have done my own, but you couldn't pay me enough to do one for somebody else.  There's only two people anywhere near my area that do it, one is a shop in Mobile (that also does those driveshaft disconnects for flat towing behind an RV that I didn't know ANYBODY did anymore) and the king of diff work over in Pensacola.  Last time I checked he stayed wide open because like Carlos said it's voodoo magic going on in there.  No matter what, invest in a solid pinion spacer, and do NOT put a crush sleeve in there.  With a solid pinion spacer, when (not if) the pinion seal goes bad and starts leaking diff fluid, you can take it off with an impact and install a new one.  Try that with a crush sleeve and you'll change the preload on the bearing which will cause premature differential failure.

5 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Looking at the ad for a truck.

Nice truck.  Priced nicely, because "selling cheep due to rear noise."  Truck can still be driven.

Never rebuilt an truck axle and diff.  Is it a horrible thing?

Maybe call around some junk yards looking for a low mileage rear.  A swap might be a better way to go.

If you like it it's worth a test drive at least.  It could be something that doesn't involve the diff; wheel bearing, driveshaft carrier bearing, brakes, muffler bearings.  

Hank, I sent you the craigslist.   A bit more research shows me a couple things.

1: I think every quadrasteer out there has 3.73 gears.

2: Quadrasteer does not have a locking differential, RPO G80.  Quadrasteers have the limited slip G86 rear end, and supposedly a 12 bolt rather than 10 bolt cover.  They are also reportedly very finicky about the correct fluid for that limited slip, making plenty odd noises if fed regular old locker oil. Hmm.

Damn, I must be psychic as I said 4WS axles cost that much earlier.  You could buy an entire quadrasteer totaled truck for that amount and have all the spare parts you could ever need.  I suggest you check car-part.  I see some with 3.73 for less than $1000.

www.car-part.com

• Upvote 1

If that pin drop is close I drive past there every day. I used to live right by the "S" in Sherman St. - I serched Cheverolet and Chey

2004 Denali Truck - $3000 (Wausau) 

2004 GMC Denali 
fuel: gas 
title status: salvage 
transmission: automatic 
2004 Denali, 4 door, 4x4 6.0 quadrasteer. High miles, runs good. Needs windshield

He's probably be driving it. The plate is scratched out on the first picture.

Chevy.jpg

9 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Oscar, its the quadrasteer axle.

Ahh, didn't know they used a 60 in the quadra.  Being a quadra increases the chances of the noise being a wheel bearing and not in the diff.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:03 AM, SwampNut said:

I'm currently putting off a re-gear of the Jeep because the one dude everyone in AZ went to died. 

Interesting. Glad you posted this. Yesterday I was thinking about asking if you re-geared. I've found my rig hunting and pecking and shifting oddly. New Tires seems to be having a little effect.