CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motivation frame slider install

snowranger

5 hours ago, jon haney said:

Make sure it's RTV type silicone.  I lost the small left one the first time I went to the track, because I used bathroom silicone.  It gets soft (no holding power) when the frame warms up.

So You are the reason I am short the small left one !! 🙂 

Yes RTV Silicone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sluggo49 said:

I like the frame plugs, too. But I'm on the fence about plugging the frame with the black plugs. Stuff that's hidden tends to get neglected in my world. And I still need to disassemble my swingarm.

They come off and go back on easy peasy with a small dab of RTV Silicone.
I have had my aluminum frame plugs off and back on a couple times. I was told to be careful about corrosion behind the frame plugs but it has not been a problem in over 10 years now.

13 hours ago, John01XX said:

So You are the reason I am short the small left one !! 🙂 

Yes RTV Silicone

Quit your whining.  I paid you $20 for it. 😘

• Like 1

Well, I think I located a complete set of John's super sexy aluminum frame plugs for sale. Only $3800.00

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/d/honda-cbr-xx-1100-blackbird/6746564675.html

But they come packaged with a '98 BB.

Edited by sluggo49
Correction
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Redbird said:

I wonder what the other language he speaks is, because it ain't English.

That's very close to what I was starting to type, then changed it.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:02 PM, snowranger said:

I've considered both options and I'm convinced there's no single best solution to protecting the bike.  In my 15 years of riding on various bikes I've probably had five or six of those extremely humbling "tip overs".  Low speed and awkward situations that leave me with the bike on my leg instead of under my butt.  And one real boner at about 25 mph. that cost me ribs, collarbone and collapsed lung.  Oh yeah and lots of damage to the machinery.  So with my skill at falling over I think I need the help of the sliders.  Just didn't want to drill the holes only to find no way to put everything back together.  

Are there others out there who've used silicone to keep the spacer between the frame and the engine block on the throttle side in place when the bolt is removed.  Sounds a little iffy to me.

Don’t fight the fall. BE the fall.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, snowranger said:

I've considered both options and I'm convinced there's no single best solution to protecting the bike.

Actually, there is.  Park it in the house and it'll be pretty safe.  If you don't trust visitors, understandably, put a fence around it.

And don't forget to keep them warm in the winter, makes them feel special so they stay extra happy.

IMG_3060.thumb.jpeg.873696b8ca483a03a109385ef3ec8f69.jpeg