CBR1100XX.org Forum

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 club Cab Transmission issue

John01XX

Truck question for a buddy of mine who just bought a new Ram Quad Cab Long Bed truck today.

His old 97 Ram 1500 has been beat up pretty good in the construction industry but still runs reliably.

The only issue is that the automatic transmission seems to hesitate when first trying to go and then clunks into gear and operates just fine throughout all gears. It only does it a couple times when cold and seems to fix itself when the tranny warms up. Just happens a couple times in the first 10-15 minutes in the mornings after sitting overnight. The transmission was serviced at Dodge about 18-20 months ago and this just started happening in the last month.

From a stand still it seems to not want to go into gear initially and then clunks into gear hard.

Any wild guesses or experience with a 97 Ram 1500 transmission?

V8 motor.

Typical low fluid symptoms.  Check it fully warmed up, idling in park, on a level surface.  It probably takes ATF+3, maybe +4, the stick should be marked with the fluid type.

Second the low fluid symptoms, I have similar unit, 2001 ram 1500, developed a transmission leak at 140K miles, front seal bad, repair was $600. all good now. Also, owners manual states to check fluid with transmission in neutral, engine running, not park. 

The neutral thing could have some validity.  Many Dodge trannies have very little flow to the torque converter in P, and possibly other circuits.  If the vehicle was parked and fluid drained back, then fired up and left in P it could give a false high reading.  AFAIK, if it's been driven and stopped in P to check it should be fine....but best to follow the book.

14 hours ago, John01XX said:

A quick follow-up and huge big THANK YOU!
2 quarts low! 

Problem resolved
Let the clean up begin and add the for sale sign.

He is enjoying his new 2016 RAM 1500 4X4 Crew Cab

Love my Dodge. Kinda loved the older ones a bit more. Have a 2015 Ram. Had a 1995 Ram and a 1973 d100. Wish I still has that 73.