CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wheel alignment tool

redxxrdr

Has anyone used this one.

It shoots down the chain.

The one i built years ago shot the laser from the rear wheel to targets mounted to the front wheel.  Very accurate due to the distance involved.

But this Laser monkey looks easier to use.

Laser-Monkey-3.thumb.jpg.7eb2a71246538b232cdf4e9fe69b34b8.jpg

url.html

584414-Motorcycle-Laser-Aligner-2.jpg

584414-Motorcycle-Laser-Aligner-3.jpg

Edited by redxxrdr
Added photo
  • Upvote 1

Never seen anything like it, pretty cool.  First thing I'd do is find a straight edge to test/verify it with, too many cheap laser devices are not straight out of the box.

Second thought is that while a straight sprocket *should* equal straight tire alignment, I'd rather check it at the tire.

I'd trust your home made thing more, and I'll take it off your hands if you buy the Monkey.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:58 PM, superhawk996 said:

Never seen anything like it, pretty cool.  First thing I'd do is find a straight edge 

I'd trust your home made thing more, and I'll take it off your hands if you buy the Monkey.

My son damaged my laser level when he was little, and later the target assembly.

The target was the tough build. I used the body of a cheap level, and two pieces of plexi to build the target.  Scribed both targets with a set of calipers to have marks in the same place at both ends.

The laser level was mounted against the rear tire, pointing forward.

The rear wheel was adjusted until the beam hit the same point on BOTH targets.  The front wheel has to be turned left and right as well to get the alignment complete.

But there was only one position that would hit both targets.

I copied the idea from Geoff from New Zealand. 

Sadly, his post were lost in a early Forum crash / upgrade.

1542165725633-1770598873.jpg

Edited by redxxrdr

A road racer named Ted Henter made a wheel alignment tool back around 1980.
It worked on the same principal as Reds lazer.
The lazer would be a logical upgrade to Teds tool.
Here's a link showing the tool and an description:
https://books.google.com/books?id=m0o1ii_30AkC&pg=RA1-PA98&lpg=RA1-PA98&dq=ted+henter+motorcycle+wheel+alignment+tool&source=bl&ots=BQD6uQnN1O&sig=C3Dr_wCFcL8fubsp11a_MTdtdd4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOzuL7rNTeAhWx1FkKHYOAC-gQ6AEwCXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=ted henter motorcycle wheel alignment tool&f=false

Checking alignment of the wheels shows up frame problems, fork problems, all kinds of stuff .
Checking that the chain is aligned on the sprockets or that the swing arm pivot is parallel with the rear axle doesn't address these important points.

Edited by HANKSXXX

20 minutes ago, HANKSXXX said:

https://books.google.com/books?id=m0o1ii_30AkC&pg=RA1-PA98&lpg=RA1-PA98&dq=ted+henter+motorcycle+wheel+alignment+tool&source=bl&ots=BQD6uQnN1O&sig=C3Dr_wCFcL8fubsp11a_MTdtdd4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOzuL7rNTeAhWx1FkKHYOAC-gQ6AEwCXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=ted henter motorcycle wheel alignment tool&f=false

Checking alignment of the wheels shows up frame problems, fork problems, all kinds of stuff .
Checking that the chain is aligned on the sprockets or that the swing arm pivot is parallel with the rear axle doesn't address these important points.

This....

I hope to build another wheel to wheel tool in the future.

Improvements will be thinner plexi to allow the beam to be more visible on the front target.

And longer targets, laterally.  I was always having to space the front wheel target when I changed bikes with different size rear tires.

And it did show clip on , and fork alignment issues on that old sv that I have.

The great thing is that lasers have gotten much cheaper in the past 15 years.

Teds road racing background led him to build a tool that was very quick to install and check alignment.
It was in his truck at every race and made it easy to verify wheel alignment after sprocket changes or chain adjustment.

I screwed up not getting one from him when he was selling them.
Today, the tool would need a redesign to fit wider tires but it self centers by virtue of the design and is quick and accurate.
It could easily be upgraded with a lazer and a couple sights.

i purchased one similar to this from a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Luster-Care-Products-L-cat-Laser-for-Cat-Chain-and-Belt-Alignment-Tool/8016731377?iid=223011109702&chn=ps

works well for my klr that doesn't have hollow swing arm bolts, otherwise i like this

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/111562/

i notice the spray lube i used to use on my chains would disappear from the chain rollers very evenly (as opposed to wearing from one side 1st) when i started using these.

while not perfect, the swing arm alignment marks on both bikes were within a mm or 2.

to the o.p., i'd want to verify the plastic tool is aligned with the laser.  perhaps use tool like in the 2nd link and then the plastic laser tool.

3 minutes ago, ptxyz said:

works well for my klr that doesn't have hollow swing arm bolts, otherwise i like this

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/111562/

Hah, that's pretty much the circle marking tool from a woodworking store.  Very easy to use, very reliable.

7 hours ago, ptxyz said:

Some good info in that link.  I have always tried to align the chain which is different from aligning the wheels.  I spin the wheel and try to get the sprocket teeth centered in the chain.  My Bird always does what it should so I never worried about doing anything more.  I can understand going the extra mile for you track guys.

• 3 weeks later...

When I put on a new chain and set of sprockets, I align wheels and then check to see if the sprocket is centered in the chain while I spin the rear wheel.

But isn't $167 a little spendy for a pocket laser and a magnet?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Luster-Care-Products-L-cat-Laser-for-Cat-Chain-and-Belt-Alignment-Tool/8016731377?iid=223011109702&chn=ps

8 hours ago, sluggo49 said:

And wouldn't work too well on a aluminum sprocket.