CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cool Ford 7.3 diesel mod.

superhawk996

I don't know if any of you guys have one.  If so, and it's not tuned, you know it has quite a bit of a power delay when you first hit the pedal.  Very shitty when you're trying to jump across an intersection or similar where you want quick response.  This is a super cheap & easy way to greatly reduce that delay.  I routed a hose from the exhaust pressure sensor port to the Map sensor.  This fools the computer into thinking there's boost earlier than it does and cranks the fuel up quickly.  It now drives almost like a gasser, power response is almost instant and the turbo spools up way faster.  It probably has no effect on max power like a tuned truck will so high EGT or other damage should be a non-issue.  A good tuner can do a lot more, including adding fuel economy, so if $ is no object it's the way to go.  It can be combined with a tuner, one guy already has and loves it.  I think a proper tune shouldn't need this.  It has been named the Map Mod by someone on the FTE forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1559257-cheap-diy-way-to-reduce-lag.html

17 minutes ago, RichardCranium said:

Says the guy who drives a Dodge.

Man, you gotta catch up, traded that back in 2013.  Or maybe you mean the Jeep, which I guess is sort of a Dodge, but technically not really.

And yes, I got the sarcasm.

Just now, SwampNut said:

Man, you gotta catch up, traded that back in 2013.  Or maybe you mean the Jeep, which I guess is sort of a Dodge, but technically not really.

And yes, I got the sarcasm.

Jeep = Dodge.

And really I think the typical my brand is awesome and your brand sucks type arguments are stupid. I AM a Ford whore and I do not like Dodge in general though they have some of the neatest/coolest looking cars. They are all pretty damn good these days.

3 minutes ago, RichardCranium said:

And really I think the typical my brand is awesome and your brand sucks type arguments are stupid.

I agree.  I was a 100% Ford whore, but found that the Dodge had more things that were important to me, and the Ford had clear defects for me.  So I switched.

The Jeep is its own thing.  There's nothing else like it.  At the same time I've advised two friends to get something else based on their stated mission.  For me, there's nothing else I'd remotely consider.

I think Dodge cars are garbage and we hated every single one we sat in when we were last car shopping (ended up with the BMW).

I've always been a Ford guy, but I'm not blinded by the badge.  I had an '01 Chevy 1500 for a while, only bought it to flip, and it was surprisingly awesome.  I've had a million vehicles and pretty sure that was my first Chevy.  If it had served a purpose, or not been #5-ish 4 wheeled vehicle clogging the place up, I'da kept it.

Carlos' diesel Dodge was pretty bitchen and I'd take one, but not without the diesel.  I didn't like that it de-fueled when shifting, kinda annoying.  I assume they were trying to keep the trans from dying, and it didn't work anyway.  Visually I prefer the Ford for the most part, inside & out, a few things I liked about the Dodge.  I think the Dodge towing mirrors beat the Ford.  Ride quality was probably better than Ford that year, but I'd only driven 4x4 Fords so not sure.  I fell in love with the 7.3 in '95, but I like the Cummins more than the 7.3.  Easier to work on, 2 fewer cylinders to deal with, and the sound.  The sound of a 'real' semi-like diesel engine.

I never cared for the Excursion, I thought it was just a monstrous soccer mom car, but love this one.  It's got truck towing capability with lots of space and some nice luxuries for a 16 year old Ford.  It's got a cushy car like ride, but Ford didn't fuck around on the HD side.  It's a truck with a car body on it, even has a full-float Sterling rear end.  Without the diesel it would serve no purpose for me.  I only bought it because I was searching "Ford 7.3" on CL and this popped up on the cheap.  It works hard to tug the 13k lb boat, but does it better than the F-350 V-10 I had before it.  After having the Ex and a crew cab short bed, which are about the same size, I think I'd go back to the truck with a shell.  Tho the Ex's cargo space can be opened to over 8' length, every once in a while I'd like to haul something that's just too tall to fit in the Ex.

• 3 weeks later...

My '99 7.3 is a straight drive, so I'm not sure this mod would do much for me. But even so, it's no sports car and it's gonna get beat off the line by just about everything so I drive it conservatively. My '06 6.0 spools up pretty quickly when I want it to due to the variable vane turbo. It's more fun to drive than the 7.3, but I generally baby it, too.

I just love the smell of diesel in the morning!

13 hours ago, sluggo49 said:

My '99 7.3 is a straight drive, so I'm not sure this mod would do much for me. But even so, it's no sports car and it's gonna get beat off the line by just about everything so I drive it conservatively. My '06 6.0 spools up pretty quickly when I want it to due to the variable vane turbo. It's more fun to drive than the 7.3, but I generally baby it, too.

I just love the smell of diesel in the morning!

It'll probably spool up quicker than the 6.0, but it's been quite a while since I drove a 6.0 so I can't say for sure.  Lots of guys say the 6.0 will actually spool quicker if you roll into the throttle rather than slam it, I don't know if that's true or just a sensation thing.  The mod won't make the throttle twitchy/jumpy like some tuners will, it just makes it power up much faster when you ask for it.  If you do it you'll probably never go back to stock, unless you enjoy the lag.

Something else I've learned, they like 5-40 oil.  Especially in colder weather and more so if the injectors are worn/sticky.  Mine has really bad injector stick when cold and 5-40 helped a lot.  The Mapmod helped too because I can 'force' a longer injection pulse at lower RPM which helps free them up.  My friend's 2000 has pretty low miles and good injectors, we don't have crazy low temps here and I noticed a small change in how it starts.  A hair quicker to fire and it runs smoother at start-up.  6.0 injectors are prone to cold sticking also and altho the cause and cure are completely different, good oil helps just as much or maybe more.  Sticky 6.0 injectors can be 'cured' with certain oil additives, 7.3 requires injector shimming.

If you have any desire to monitor stuff and be able to check fault codes there's a few OBD bluetooth dongles you can get (make sure it's 7.3 compatible as many aren't) combined with the Torque app.  I chose the BAFX dongle, $22 on Amazon, and Torque Pro, you can monitor lots of stuff that helps you track and sometimes predict issues.  Almost positive you can use it on the 6.0 also.

Cam position sensor; only buy Ford or International and keep a spare in the glove box, this is probably the most common part that can kill the engine with no warning and it's easy to replace.  I have a new one in the glove box I plan to install, then carry the old one.  The Motorcraft is cheap on Amazon, make sure it's the grey one which is the latest version.  Many claim smoother running and better mileage over the old version and China sensors.

1 minute ago, sluggo49 said:

Lists a phone(y) number and then yells: DO NOT CALL!

He just wants to get your email address.

He does offer the texting option.  The ad is elaborate, the truck is being given away, if the ad is more than a day old it's a scam.  It'll be one of those send me money or your banking info and I'll ship you a truck kinda deals.

International , no self-respected trucker will touch that pile of shit unless he has no other choice . They tried to pass emissions without Def injection , consequently their Maxx Force engines are the biggest piece of crap installed in class 8 truck. 

International has been having EGR coolers killing engines for well over a decade, starting with the 6.0 installed in Fords, you'd think they'd learn to do something different.  Other emissions stuff in later engines has also lead to engine failures.

The 7.3 has no EGR or any of the other emissions controls and doesn't suffer early failures.  The other pre-emissions Internationals also didn't have so many issues.

I've started noticing lately that more and more modern tractors on the road are belching exhaust smoke, usually white/light colored, and usually only in spurts and wonder if it's because of failures or maybe just the DPF self-cleaning cycle.  I haven't investigated.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Rust and accidents generally kill these things long before the engine dies.

Ain't that the case! Fortunately, we don't get a lot of snow and salt here.

And referring back to an earlier post, I may try the Mapmod just for fun. It's easily reversible.

And on my 6.0, its injectors hate the cold. At key-on, they go through an exercise to free them up. You can hear them clicking. When it's really cold, like below 45F, I just do the warmup cycle a couple of time before I even try to fire the engine. It seems to help, but idle is still rough at startup. I got Autoenginuity about 10 years ago when I got my 7.3, so it does fine for monitoring PIDs, but it's cumbersome to use. On long trips it would be nice to be able to monitor a couple of things without the hassle of a laptop.

I run 15-40 in both trucks. If most of my miles are highway, I go 5K between changes, but if it's short hop driving, I change oil and filter around 4K. So far, so good.

7 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I thought that you would laugh at: " When it's really cold, like below 45F,"

I thought you might get a kick out of that. I moved to NC about fifteen years ago after spending a substantial number of years in northern Illinois. It's amazing how quickly I got spoiled by the weather here.