CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain cleaning brushes

SwampNut

Excuse the motorcycle content, and if anyone wants to fuck my mom over it, please PM me for her number.  Also I will not meet you to fight if you think your brush choice is better than mine.

So these days, "everyone" is using brushes to clean o-ring and x-ring chains.  That used to be a bad thing.  Now it seems like it is actually much better.  I never noticed the change, as I was riding shafties and dirt bikes for a long time.  Opinions?  And go with the mainstream Grunge Brush or something else?  They're all relatively cheap so I'd lean to the aluminum one for $16.

I'm using Motorex cleaning spray and Bel-Ray dry chain lube if anyone would like to insult my grandmother too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I still use a grunge brush and kerosene 

takes maybe 5 minutes total

scrub really good, wipe down, scrub down again, wipe down really good.

Use some dupont chain wax I found at lowes in between scrub downs. 

got 26k miles out of last chain, still in limits but developed a tight link and front sprocket was due as well. 

I have always just put a little kerosene on a rag and wiped but I only ride in nice weather and no dirt roads.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Good to know.  FYI, Revzilla did a test where they found that kerosene had a small but measurable swelling effect on the rings.

I will have to search for that.

Also note that I just very flatly stated the results, I do not have any opinion on whether such a tiny change matters.  Just posted for everyone to make an informed choice.  I'm going to stick with chain cleaner because it's still dirt cheap to buy a bottle once a year.

I have always just used a clean rag and spray WD40 on the rag and wiped down the chain.
It was always said to never spray WD-40 directly on the chain as it is a penetrant and not a lubricant.
Spraying on the rag made it easy to wipe off the gunk on the chain.
I will be following this thread as well for others opinions and experiences.

I now have over 20,000 on my current chain. Still looks like brand new with virtually no stretching or kinks.
Can't remember the brand, EK maybe, but was suppose to be the best of the best with forged links verses stamped metal links like the DID.

Looked it up and I bought the RK530 MaxZ chain. Had the highest tensile strength and has forged links instead of stamped metal links. Has the longest life guarantee at 20,000 miles over the DID at 115,000 miles. Suppose to be a new fangled Z-ring or modified X-ring design that maintains the sealed internal lubricant better or so they claim.

Edited by John01XX

I think applying it to the chain as a spray is not an issue as compared to applying it on a rag.  Either way, you're using the solvent effect as a cleaner only.  I think it's *possibly* a bad choice because it leaves a film that may then reject the actual lube.

The theory was that if applying WD-40 to an X-ring chain, it will penetrate the seals and degrade the internal lubricant. By applying it to the rag only it only cleans the surface gunk from the chain. If chain lube/wax was applied properly gunk has no way to get to the seals and remains on the surface. 

WD-40 destroys chains, firearms, and high end fishing reels.

It's made and promoted by manufacturers of chains, firearms, and fishing reels...

Not leaving the chain soaked for 24hrs as in the test. There is some residual kero left but most all is wiped away within minutes or flung off. Chain is all shiny and clean, don't forget to rinse off your grunge brush also... 

carb or brake clean will swell the crap out of rubber. Learned that mistake years ago when rebuilding the carbs on a kawi 454 ltd Let them sit for a day or so and fit again. 

The few times I've cleaned I used SuperClean, Grunge Brush, and water.  After rinsing I grab 6th gear on the center stand and rip it up to high speed for a bit to dry it off, then lube.

I never liked the brush. Worked ok, but the bristles would fling shit everywhere. Spent half the day cleaning the swingarm, rim, and garage floor. Now, I alternating between a kerosene rag and a clean one to get the desired cleanliness. Still using the Honda chain lube in the blue can. Stuff works great

57 minutes ago, SR71BLACKBIRDXX said:

I never liked the brush. Worked ok, but the bristles would fling shit everywhere. Spent half the day cleaning the swingarm, rim, and garage floor. Now, I alternating between a kerosene rag and a clean one to get the desired cleanliness. Still using the Honda chain lube in the blue can. Stuff works great

Same experience.  But just use a clean shop towel, just after my ride. When the chain is warm.  500 mile intervals, sooner if the ride was in rain.