CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird clicks and then nothing. WTF?

John from NWO

Hi All: 2003 Bird here with about 16k. This week I hopped on to go for a ride after bike had sat for a month and got some half-dead battery type cranking that got worse before dwindling to nothing. No start. Dead battery, I thought. Hooked up my portable lithium battery charger and the bike fired up immediately. Headed out on a 25 minute at near highway speeds, parked the bike while I watched a baseball game and when I got back on: A flaccid-type crank and some dash lights acting weird. Groan. Get a ride home, get the lithium charger, come back: bike fires up with charger and I ride home. That night I remove battery and go to charge it and the charger immediately flashes green (full charge). I re-install battery and again: some strange clicking from somewhere right behind the battery and then nothing. I check voltage on bike and it's 12.2v or something.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm puzzled.

I'm not sure. It says "Manufactured by Thos. A. Edison Company" in elaborate script down one side and I think it's made of wood. Seriously, I don't know. I've owned the bike two years and it came with bike. I'll try a new battery and advise. 

Anyone have a battery they recommend? I usually run a phone charger off battery, but nothing else. Looking for high quality + not insane price.

Thanks, guys!

Edited by John from NWO

The OEM. Is YUASA.  It’s a sealed agm style battery.  Mine lasted 7+ years. My second, over 5. Would have lasted longer, but I clooked it with a high current charger.

The problem with replacement YUASA is that they are made and sealed in Japan.

You could get one that has been aging on a shelf, if your vendor has slow inventory turns

Sounds like it's just a bad battery.

LiFePo4 are a bit spendy, but awesome.  Super light & small, they crank strong, recharge quickly, and have almost no self-discharge.  It can sit on a shelf neglected for a year, drop it in and start the bike.  When I put mine in the cranking speed went up to where it sounded almost like the bike had no compression.

• 4 months later...

I shelved the bike for the winter, so never responded with the results. Last week I got the bike out, bought a new AGM battery, and the bike fired up immediately which no weird lights, sounds, smells or actions. Went for a 30 minute ride: No issues whatsoever. Conclusion: Battery was fully charged but lacking in CCA or something. New battery resolved all issues. Thanks, everyone!

• Like 2