CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibration issue and plumbing....

Zero Knievel

Every time the water pump kicks in, there's vibration.  I took pipe insulation and slipped it on wherever the supply line crossed ceiling trusses to avoid rattling.  That helped.  I dismounted the chlorine injector and zip tied it down with a couple of shop rags under it.  That helped.

Mom still complains.  This morning, the water softener was in service mode, so I stood around for 30 minutes to wait for the pump to kick in to track down the rattling.  Oddly, it was non-existent where the pipe comes into the house.  It was loudest at the pipes around the pressure tank.  On a lark, I unplugged the power to the chlorine injector, and everything stopped...quiet as a mouse.

Odd thing is that the chlorine injector isn't connected with hard lines.  I can't fathom how the vibration from the pump is resonating through the pipes in the system.

Any insight?

It's probably traveling through the water as pump pulses.  Even though this isn't a hammer, I would guess that water hammer prevention should work too.  I don't KNOW these things, but understanding how general pumps and physics work, this is what immediately jumped to mind.  Basically you probably need a pulsation damper, as a water hammer is one big pulse, while the pump is just constantly pulsing.

Or possibly just connect the pump outlet to the house with a flex hose which absorbs pulses.

As Carlos said, most likely you are experiencing water hammering. a combination of pump pulses and restrictions in the line will produce it. 
I used to get it occasionally in my previous house while on city water pressure. No pump but would get some hammering when I turned the single handle shower water valve on. Certain specific levels of line pressure resistance would cause it to hammer and adjusting the valve harder on or harder off momentarily would stop it. Plumber told me to replace the valve. 

41 minutes ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Why the chlorine? well water already polluted? Grew up on well water that was never treated. Besides, chlorine will make you do strange things at exits while riding a motorcycle.

Bacteria that would leave stains if not sterilized.

3 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Why the chlorine? well water already polluted? Grew up on well water that was never treated. Besides, chlorine will make you do strange things at exits while riding a motorcycle.

Same here but I didn't know that about chlorine.  Sure am glad we didn't have the pump.      😀