CBR1100XX.org Forum

oe non catalyst fi header wanted

I was wondering why my newly acquired 01 bird has smaller testicles than my old 99. Just got it a cpl weeks ago, was doing some maint today and noticed the o2 sensor, and the squished up funky looking kalifornia kommunist baby seal saving header. I'm in Phoenix would be nice if someone close has one laying around. Let me know if anyone has one in their spares.

Edited by dubbird
misspell

Yep, but replacing the header while you're at it will definitely get you more improvement.

It's been a long, long time since I shopped XX exhaust systems, but 4-1 full systems used to not be much more expensive that a set of slip-ons. You're just getting a header and one can instead of two cans.

• Upvote 1

The squished looking parts of the header are probably less than ideal, but not terrible.  They have some 'baffling' inside, but no catalyst.  I've ridden stock, slip-ons, and a Yoshi full system.  The Yosh seemed to have the most punch and the slip-ons a pretty close second.  I think the hot ticket for performance and dual exhaust would be the headers off a carbed bike with aftermarket mufflers, assuming nobody makes a dual header, but a full aftermarket system should make the most power.  Don't know exactly what the bike would do with the O2 eliminated, but I think they don't care.

Apparently you got a California bike, my '01 is non-cat, non-O2.

Thinking about it, I'm not positive but I don't believe the CA bikes came with cats until '02.

Dubbird, can you post a pic of your OEM cans?

edit-

do your cans look like this-

cat.jpg

or this-

no cat.jpg

Fist pic is the converter equipped OEM muffler, second is no converter.

Looks like its the kalifornia kommie pipes. No wonder it feels a little weak. We are going to hafta fix that. I'll take a carbed model header and oem mufflers if someone has em laying around. The only aftermarket easily obtained new full systems I see are delkevik. I'll go that route if I have to but I really don't want it to be loud.

2018-10-01 01.02.36.jpg

Edited by dubbird

2 hours ago, dubbird said:

I'll take a carbed model header and oem mufflers if someone has em laying around.

It is my understanding the a carb header will not fit on a FI Bird without some mods.  If I remember right, the radiator had to be moved or something.  Of course I could be wrong as it has been a long time since the bikes were new.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember if the carb header fits an EFI bike without mods, or the other way around.

Dubbird, if you think it's the cats holding it back you can probably bust them out of there.  I've gutted a few cats using a steel rod and a hammer.  They're somewhat tough, but they will shatter.  A long masonry drill bit would probably make quicker work of them than hammering a rod through, but haven't tried it.  I have no idea if the cats are an actual restriction or not, but I wouldn't be surprise if they are robbing a few horses.

I can't speak directly to swapping OEM carb & FI header, but I can say that when I mounted a carb Akropovic full system on my '01 it required modification of the lower radiator stay. It's been a while but if I remember correctly it had to be extended just a bit and given a bit of a bend to go around one of the pipes. It's a pretty simple thing, but knowing how to weld or having a friend who can will go a long way.

Cool let me know. If the header is the same as my 99 all I'm gonna want is a set of clean cans, altho I was eyeballing a couple of titanium setups on eBay from Japan last night ( frosty beverage induced). Btw I'm not a total noob here. Was active up until 2006ish just couldn't remember my old username. This one's goin up for sale soon.

IMAG0130.jpg

Edited by dubbird

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 4:26 PM, dubbird said:

The xx plate was a lucky random DMV gift.

I don't know what you paid for the bike, but with enough mods it'll hit the $7G mark.