CBR1100XX.org Forum

Won't start

bbons

Went for a ride last night and my bike just stopped running.  When I turn the key I don't hear the fuel pump like I have before, bike cranks just fine and it will start with starter fluid.

Once I stop using starter fluid it shuts off.  Just need to know where to start.

2000 CBR1100XX 

Thanks

You mean like hot shot into the air ducts? If so, then yeah, it is not getting fuel. But the pump may be OK, and the FPR may be  bad. Search the garage section for fuel pressure regulator for diagnostics. 

Good luck!

Check fuses.  Check the handlebar stop switch, wiggle it with the key on see if the pump fires.  Lift the tank and see if you get voltage to the pump.  It could also be the test connector in the harness, but they usually give some warning like the FI light flickering and intermittent misfires before totally failing.

Gonna ask the obvious just because...............  Please don't be offended.

Is there fuel in the tank?

Maybe the fuel gauge has failed.

Edited by jon haney

Good thinking, we often overlook the simple things.  And in many cases a dry pump is so quiet you don't notice it running, tho no clue how a dry Bird pump sounds.