CBR1100XX.org Forum

School me on gutters...

Zero Knievel

Next week we get to spend $5,600+ on foundation repairs because dad refused to put gutters on the house.  Erosion did the rest.

So, the next step is to install gutters to resolve the issue.  My dad’s big issue (which I understand) is avoiding wood rot where the gutters are installed.  More than once he had to replace wood because of this.  I know they make gutters that prevent clogging and are easier to keep clean, but what would you guys recommend? How should they be installed or what type prevents wood rot?

I will of course defer to experts, but we have mineral composite soffits and stuff up there. No rot. There may be other issues, but rot is not one of them.

There is no Miracle gutter, no matter what you end up buying you still need to clean them out from time to time. My dad has spent hundreds on various gutter "shields" the only thing they did was make my job harder when I'd go over to clean them out. 

• Upvote 2

Gutters don’t cause wood rot, lack of maintenance does. A properly installed and maintained gutter system will do exactly zero damage to wood overhangs. Even if they’re allowed to clog and overflow, the water should be coming over the front, not over the back where it could get the fascia and/or soffit wet. 

Gutter guards, there are products that work but most of them cost as much or more than the gutters themselves to have installed. Look at some of the stainless micromesh products available now if your budget allows for it. 

14 hours ago, Redbird said:

Gutters don’t cause wood rot, lack of maintenance does. A properly installed and maintained gutter system will do exactly zero damage to wood overhangs.

Thanks.  That knowledge helps a lot.  I don't know who installed the gutters in Florida.  Maybe it was done wrong...maybe it was the volume of rain that caused issues (or a poor roof design).  At least I know to look for someone who will install them correctly to prevent this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get the gutters as oversized as possible.  They make different sizes and you will be cleaning them less the bigger they are. I think mine have about a 4" downspout.  Lots of leaves just pass through.

6” gutters are overkill in most residential applications. The bottleneck is almost always the downspouts, 6” gutters will just take slightly longer to fill up once the downspouts can’t handle the flow. 5” gutters and properly configured 3” x 4” downspouts will do the job on about 99% of residential applications.