CBR1100XX.org Forum

Conformal coatings

XXitanium

Ok..couple of things in conformal coatings of PCB's.  

1)  You can only keep the PCB as dry as it is when you coat it.  The PCB absorbs moisture and needs to be baked at about 150 - 200 F for min of 3 hrs to really cook the moisture out of the board.  Coating without baking..will trap moisture and can help to cause failure..not prevent it.

2)  Anti-static.  Ground the board and yourself when spraying.  You can't use too much, but make sure you layer and coat it like a you would paint a car...but liberal use is just fine.

3)  Dry.  Let it really dry.  Another baking is just fine.

In my days manufacturing industrial sensors..they used Humiseal quite a bit and that is where I learned the above practices.  Full potting is the best option..but Humiseal is pretty good.

https://m.skygeek.com/humiseal-1a33-humiseal-1a33-aerosol-conformal-coating-11-5-oz-can.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=humiseal-1a33-humiseal-1a33-aerosol-conformal-coating-11-5-oz-can&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYHaBRDvARIsAHkAXcsKR7F8ignRfRqM2xc_TB7f1J5vcZfvg5kDXX5g1L9Xed1w1IQxeRMaAijfEALw_wcB

...hmmm, I let the board get tacky. I saturated the wireways and slathered them in dielectric grease. My thought was that water would have a hard time getting in if it had to push grease out of the way.

It started and we put about 40 miles on it. I think I'll do the windshield / seal - and see if I can get six months more out of it.

23 hours ago, TuffguyF4i said:

3)  Dry.  Let it really dry.  Another baking is just fine.

This stuff resembles WD-40. It did talk about drying in the instructions though.

I suppose I trapped propellents and solvnts in there...

• 3 weeks later...

This shit is pretty amazing.  I will never be without it.  The incident Oscar was talking about was with my sea planes and the home-built boats where I wanted to use non-marine electronics.  This makes them totally reject water.  Submerging the electronics does nothing to them.  I use it on things like fence hinges and latches, or anything that's outside and needs corrosion protection that seems to last "forever."  Years I guess.  It's a thick foamy oily coating.  I've used it on anything on the boat that looked like it was hinting at oxidizing.

Oh, there are two types, I use the red.  I can't remember what was different about the blue label.