CBR1100XX.org Forum

1999 Honda CBR1100XX - $2,500 OBO

Well, today I took the XX for a spin and realized I’m probably better off finding her a new home.  

Part of why I got the RS was that the XX was less and less comfortable to ride.  Today was less than 100 miles, but I was ready to get home and get off by then.  I realized that I would have enjoyed the RS more, but I needed to take the out XX from time to time.  That thought clinched it.  If I’m only going to ride the XX because it would otherwise be neglected, it’s probably best to put in the hands of someone who will appreciate and use it regularly.

I’m not yet setting price because I have yet to inventory what goes.  I’m not looking to part it out if I can help it.

The bike....

1999 Honda CBR 1100XX

appx. 98,500 on the odometer...had something like 16,500 when I bought it.

On the bike....

Corbin saddle (also have OEM saddle).

DDM HID high and low beams.

LED instrument backlighting (a huge improvement IMHO).

Pro-Oiler chain lube system.

3 RAM ball mounts (2 left handlebar, 1 center).

Givi windscreen (also have OEM windscreen).

Dual mode heated grips.

Datel voltmeter.

VFR handlebars (may still have OEM ones, but one was damaged).

Throttle lock cruise device (Kaoko?...or similar design...doesn’t work great with heated grips).

Speedo Healer.

FZ-1 Fuzeblock.

Braided stainless brake and clutch lines.

6mm shim.

Footpeg lowering brackets.

Power Commander 2 with laptop and cables.

Givi Wingrack & 3 cases (RS uses different side cases and I already have a new top case on the RS).

Black tank protector.

Otherwise, I’ll have to sort out all the extras.  I saved old R/R units that tested okay.  I have the original rear shock lying around.  Original brake lines.  Might as well include chemicals and filters exclusive to the XX, but I need time to take inventory.

I will pull the GPS cradle off because I’m keeping the GPS.

Edited by Aunt Zero

I know.  It’s just the realization that I enjoy the RS more, and (believe it or not) I’m so busy with work and domestic chores I hardly have time to use one bike.

I’ll take inventory and see what interest there is.  I figured I’d have both bikes for a year before deciding if I’d keep both, but today’s ride was a wake up call.

I would just keep it. The year and mileage would scare off most and if you part it out would even drop the price more and not give it that one off factor.

Okay, here's an inventory of all extras:

0.5      1/2 gal. Evans prep fluid  

1.5      1/2 gal. Evans waterless coolant

5          AMSOIL 10w40 oil (quart)

2          Collar - 90502-680-000

1          Cush drive (used - in pieces but functional)

3          Dashboard back light bulbs (used) - 34909-KW3-003

1          Dowco Guardian bike cover

10       Fairing fasteners - plastic

1          Fork spring kit (original springs & spacer)

1          Frame plug kit (didn't want to stay in place so I took them off)

1          Fuel level sender unit (new) - 37080-MAT-E00

1          Givi Wingrack rear turn signals (fugly, so I took them off)

2          Handlebar inserts (OEM)

1          Heated grips (pair) - used

6          Indicator bulbs (used?) - 34908-KM1-671

1          K&N air filter w/cleaning and oiling chemicals

1          Left front turn signal (broken but reparable if you are so inclined) - 88120-MAT-D01ZA

1          Misc. bolts & nuts & spacers belonging to bike.

1          MOFSET R/R unit w/modified harness plug (stator side)

1          OEM R/R unit w/modified harness plug (stator side)

1          OEM R/R unit w/OEM harness plugs

1          OEM fuel pressure regulator (used but still good)

2          OEM handlebars (serviceable)

2          OEM headlamps w/plugs for harness - H7 + 2 spare bulbs

1          OEM Honda shop manual

1          OEM rear shock (used) - MAT-E01

1          OEM windscreen (modified)

1          Original locks & keys for Givi cases (will be separated out if Givi cases are sold separately).

1          Pro-Oiler instructions w/extra dispenser nozzle (new), extra capillary lines, & extra impeller pump (used)

1          Purolator One oil filter

1          Radiator (vapor leak?) w/fan, pressure cap, fan switch sensor still attached

2          Rivet master links

1          Set of OEM brake lines

1          Spare temp & fuel gauge (used)

4          Windscreen nut - 90111-KW3-003

1          Spare fairing bolts (kept in my tool bag).

Additional items that could be sold separately:

Tappet adjusting tool set

Motion Pro chain riveting tool

Carb sync tool w/gauges (holdover I found in the garage).

Edited by Aunt Zero

13 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Didn't see a price.

KBB sets a value for one in EXCELLENT condition from a dealer at $3,570.

That would exclude extras on the bike such as the luggage system, Pro-Oiler, RAM mounts, Speedo Healer, Corbin saddle, etc.

This bike's been cross country several times and into Canada twice.  If it's a good fit for you (physically), it's a great sport-touring configuration.

At this point, I'm looking to see if there's interest.  I realize now it's more likely than not that I'm going to prefer riding the BMW enough that the XX will get little use on a yearly basis, and I'd rather see it go to someone who would really appreciate it than sit underutilized.

Nice setup on a 21 year old bike. Plan on around $1500 to $2K from the uninformed masses on CL or Offer Up. Perhaps a little more if you wait. 

Need to to sell your extras individually, (but time is money) and then sell the bike for $1500 to $2K.  Based on the admission of damaged OEM clip on it would appear the bike has also been down at least once.

EDIT ADDED:

I was posting the above comments when Mike appeared to be searching for a price.  Mods please feel free to delete my comments as it now appears to be an official For Sale thread.

Edited by TOXXIC

I have two friends who've asked me to keep an eye out for a good XX at the right price.  Shoot me a number for the whole package and I'll talk to them.

4 hours ago, Aunt Zero said:

KBB sets a value for one in EXCELLENT condition from a dealer at $3,570.

That would exclude extras on the bike such as the luggage system, Pro-Oiler, RAM mounts, Speedo Healer, Corbin saddle, etc.

No offense, but that bike is not in excellent condition, so starting with that number seems a bit disingenuous. Also, does that number take the mileage into account? I'd very be surprised if it did. Not trying to be a dick, but based on what I quoted I think you might be in for a rude surprise if you take it to market at anywhere near that price.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

I was posting the above comments when Mike appeared to be searching for a price.  Mods please feel free to delete my comments as it now appears to be an official For Sale thread.

Searching for a price would be the logical conclusion.  When I see "testing the waters" on CL it's usually someone who will only sell at top book value plus all his mods at full cost making this a $5k bike.

Your assessment of $1500-2k is probably about right, depending on whether there's visible crash damage and how much.  The mileage will scare off most people so the number of people willing to pay over @2k is gonna be small.

I have two potential buyers, but without checking it out I wouldn't sell them on it at anywhere near his book value even with everything thrown in.

The spare rear shock is the OEM original.  Current rear shock is a newer one from another XX (OEM).  I know some places can rebuild them to restore them to new condition.

Having taken the time to inventory all the extras helps to set a price.

I did have a minor lowside and dropped it a couple of times.  Garage kept.  The plastics are showing their age, so yeah, I’m not expecting top dollar.  The luggage system would be over $500 (new).

For “everything” ... I’d ask $2,500 ... probably not go lower than $2,000 ... unless some die hard enthusiast was going to make the long trek to pick it up (over a day’s journey each way).  I know I could likely get more by parting it out (with the XX discontinued), but that’s a sad end for a bike that runs fine...and I don’t need a half-disassembled bike taking up space.

I can’t say I didn’t get my money’s worth from the bike, and I would rather see it in the hands of someone who would give it the time and attention it deserves.

Edited by Aunt Zero

9 hours ago, Redbird said:

No offense, but that bike is not in excellent condition, so starting with that number seems a bit disingenuous. Also, does that number take the mileage into account? I'd very be surprised if it did. Not trying to be a dick, but based on what I quoted I think you might be in for a rude surprise if you take it to market at anywhere near that price.

Funny how much we have in common besides first names. I literally typed the same commentary regarding the “excellent condition” mentioned and erased it due to the nature of the For Sale thread. But, feel it is important to point out this was a serious mischaracterization of condition. I may have to play with KBB to show the true value when 98K miles are added to the equation.

Somehow I smell Joe circling this ad licking his junkyard dog lips!

The other resident junkyard dog already started.  He's bigger, I think I'm a little quicker and able to evade the bites.  If he takes it it means I don't have to think about it, no biting necessary.....but a little nibble would be a nice touch.

Well, “excellent” was the top value listed at KBB.  It didn’t seem to give me a modifier for mileage, but also did give modifiers for modifications or extra gear.  So, it is useful for getting an idea of the most I could realistically ask for.

I’ll try to get better daylight photos.  Minor scratches here and here.  Some rash on the left side, but I’ve not had luck making it appear in photos.  I’ve even kept track of what work I’ve done and when (so I’d know when I last did stuff).

Perhaps, but at $2,500, if someone had the capacity to part it out, they’d make back every penny and then some.  The motor is solid, and all the significant negatives are purely cosmetic.  Wheels, swing arm, frame, forks, tank, etc. are in fine condition.  I’d hate to see how many of these are even available from Honda now.

I could sell the Givi setup separately, but I’d rather move it as a whole unit.

1 hour ago, Aunt Zero said:

Perhaps, but at $2,500, if someone had the capacity to part it out, they’d make back every penny and then some.  The motor is solid, and all the significant negatives are purely cosmetic.  Wheels, swing arm, frame, forks, tank, etc. are in fine condition.  I’d hate to see how many of these are even available from Honda now.

Perhaps, but people buying something to part it out are looking to spend a couple hundred at most, not full street value.  A whole motor, $700.  Swingarm, $40.  Forks, $200.  Gas tank, $300.....and these are prices I've seen on 'normal' mile parts, not 100k mile parts.  So, many hours of work later and piles of stuff littering the garage, about half of the investment is returned.  Nobody in his right mind would do this.

Buying your bike with all the extras and parting out unwanted ones kinda makes sense.  If someone doesn't care for the luggage and spares & stuff then selling them off does make the total price more attractive.  Without those extras I wouldn't even entertain it.  The biggest hurdles for either of my buddies will be not being able to see/ride it, especially because of the miles, and the shipping cost.  If we were local I know they'd pay $2k, and probably 2500 if it's as clean as you say.  Cosmetics are always iffy, one sees no damage and the next person fixates on every flaw.  What city/state are you in?