CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water Heater Question

Zero Knievel

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

One man's trivial can be another man's.....................              ☺️

True.  I'm staring bewildered at so many house projects that would be trivial for many.

"I'll get around to that".  Fuck, something else that needs fixing, ok I'll get on it soon.  Fuck, 5 things that.....fuck this, it's too much to think about.  I'll have a cocktail and think about it.  Oh look, a squirrel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just went with one shutoff valve on the hot water line.  I’ll leave the tank in place and drain it once in a while.

Two reasons for this choice.  First, CPVC is brittle as it ages, so I had to use a special pipe cutter the installers brought with them just to prep the line I put the valve on.  Second, all the lines that provided space to do what I planned were up against walls, making it impossible to use the special tool, and I just didn’t feel like fucking with it.

Edited by Aunt Zero

If they're that brittle it would seem like an indication that it's time to replace them.

So are both heaters T'ed together at the pipe that supplies the house?

No reason to replace. CPVC gets brittle as it ages.  It means if you use a standard PVC pipe cutter, you’ll likely shatter it rather than get a clean cut.

Both heaters tap into the cold like.  Tank feeds right off the cold line post water treatment.

My question was how they connect to house's hot feed line.  I assume the outlets of both heaters T together, or was the house's hot line cut  somewhere & the new heater spliced into it?

I had missed this thread before.  My god, just...fuck.  What in the actual fucking fuck.  The best thing about putting in a new reliable water heater is getting rid of the old one.

And as I said, pulling the unit is significant work.  When I need to replace the pressure tank, THEN I’ll pull the tank heater.  It’s mounted behind other water treatment equipment.