CBR1100XX.org Forum

Art/Homework Table

Speed99

We have a den downstairs that was a craft room and Michelle’s office. Then it was an extra bedroom for a year and Michelle moved her office upstairs. The need for a bedroom is no over so we are reclaiming it to make it an all purpose arts and crafts room for the kids (and Michelle) as well as a place for the kids to do homework. 

Closet is filled with Michelle’s scraping booking supplies. Also have IKEA units for the other stuff. Decided to custom build the project table. It’s two feet wide. The back wall is nine feet wide. The center part comes out another six feet from the front edge of the back section. 

5CCB7104-B25C-4BB5-8225-DB71FD0E867E.jpeg

6424C6AF-6FAB-4AE0-8691-CE7386D1C093.jpeg

F0949F98-7574-42A6-ADA7-560DA76542C2.jpeg

30A5C692-702B-4DCB-BD8A-95EA9EDDD017.jpeg

The table was built from the ground up. Got innovative with the table legs. Finding legs that looked right and were pre built would have been pricey. 

Instead I used a PVC 4x4 deck post cover. And eight foot section was about $44 and netted me three legs. Used 4x4 post anchors to make a leg mount under the table. 

The table bor isn’t quite done yet. I used inexpensive pine boards for the top. I plan to stain I gray and the am going to epoxy over the entire thing to make it one continuous smooth surface. 

4D141F93-78B8-4A91-AEDD-6CD5FA96DB6F.jpeg

E6F2ED76-7649-490D-B501-4A60CBE73690.jpeg

42B02A54-5B01-491E-8B6D-35F31370CE0C.jpeg

16C0BEF2-B957-4000-93BC-88C8A93599DF.jpeg

92050E26-8EC6-4B0D-9C5E-D1D15801374E.jpeg

96A2E7C4-5E0E-40DE-A69A-A813636437F4.jpeg

3254F978-E67F-434D-883C-B6531DE5BBF8.jpeg

70D4B860-06DB-4995-AC84-358E0D6666F8.jpeg

9AEAFFF6-610E-4AE4-9BEB-CDBE97BD9C24.jpeg

There’s pretty much all the basics (and more) in that room. Drawing, painting, clay, coloring, beads, bow making, scrap booking, sewing, t shirt making, paracord, photo printing, gift wrapping, and tons of tools and supplies. 

I bought her a bunch of stackable parts bins to sort all the small stuff so it’s easier to find. When we converted it to a bedroom, everything was thrown in bins and there was junk they didn’t need. We went through everything and sorted all the like items into zip locks. Once the build is done then we can also add shelves above the table on the back wall and everything will be organized and easy to find. 

3 hours ago, Speed99 said:

There’s pretty much all the basics (and more) in that room.

No reloading press?  Vise?  Milling machine?  Motorcycle lift?  Not even a fuckin tool box?!?!  I expect to see at least one corner of the man card voluntarily relinquished.

But really, that's a pretty bitchen table.  I doubt I'd ever even considered making something like that.  Nice job.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

No reloading press?  Vise?  Milling machine?  Motorcycle lift?  Not even a fuckin tool box?!?!  I expect to see at least one corner of the man card voluntarily relinquished.

But really, that's a pretty bitchen table.  I doubt I'd ever even considered making something like that.  Nice job.

Thank you sir. 

Regarding the ManCard, I am going to formally appeal on the ruling of the corner being removed. This space is “their” space and this work is to keep them out of “my” space.

I own the foot print from the garage to god which includes the man cave and theater room upstairs. Reloading is not a skill I have acquired, but in the aforementioned garage there is a full work bench with all the tools needed to do all the manly work you see in the pictures above. 

11 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I like the PVC leg cover idea.  The whole thing looks good and should be sturdy.

It feels like a solid block of wood. No bounce or wiggle at any point. Quite proud of that part. Very strong. The PVC is actually quite thick. More than I expected. 

Looks awesome, dude. Love the PVC legs. I'd have suggested some construction adhesive for the 1x top if all you used was brads into MDF to fasten, but you're climate controlled in there so warping probably won't be an issue.

28 minutes ago, Speed99 said:

I am going to formally appeal on the ruling of the corner being removed.

Yeah, that ruling will go in your favor. For those who haven't been to Rick's house, he has a mancave upstairs that most would be jealous of and a garage full of cool toys and tools. It's almost like he's overcompensating for something...but he is not lacking in man space.

19 minutes ago, Redbird said:

Looks awesome, dude. Love the PVC legs. I'd have suggested some construction adhesive for the 1x top if all you used was brads into MDF to fasten, but you're climate controlled in there so warping probably won't be an issue.

Yeah, that ruling will go in your favor. For those who haven't been to Rick's house, he has a mancave upstairs that most would be jealous of and a garage full of cool toys and tools. It's almost like he's overcompensating for something...but he is not lacking in man space.

I used adhesive between the boards and MDF. Great minds. As you said, the room temp rarely varies by more than 10 degrees unless the AC breaks. Should be fine. I also think the epoxy top should further help tie everything together. 

Over compensating?  Nailed it!  😎

Back to construction: one of the time consuming steps was finishing the edges of the planks. I lightly rounded every edge of each board. This made it look better when laying the boards down. I think that those gaps will hold stain better and be a little darker. Should give the finished product more character. 

2 hours ago, Speed99 said:

I also think the epoxy top should further help tie everything together. 

Sealing only one side of the wood will cause more warping problems than it solves. Variations in humidity is the potential issue more than temp swings. This is why cedar siding not finished the same front and back will cup and crack. The back absorbs moisture, the finished (sealed) front does not, siding curls. Not that I think you're going to have any problems, just having a "the more you know" moment.

Looks impressive Rick. I just added some PVC privacy fencing to both sides of my house using the PVC sleeves over 4x4 posts. Very durable stuff and easy to work with.

Also seeing "Her" room all organized will make her very pleased.

Funny, last week, I decided to make a swimming lap counter since i am swimming daily at a rate of about 36 to 72 laps. hard keeping track of number of laps so crafted up a primitive abacus style counter. Using pony beads in three colors, paracord and suction cups I had from Awesome Ears. Seeing all of her crafting supplies so well organized is amazing. I can see where lots of great projects for the kids will be possible now from your efforts. 

Here is a pic of my little lap counter that I made on my kitchen floor after spending way to much time at Walmart deciding what to buy.
Functional and simplistic  
white beads = 1 lap (50 yds)

red beads = 10 laps 

Blue beads = 1/2 mile

I only wish I had the supplies, work table and abilities to produce a craftsmanship project like you just did. Great job.

2040065368_Laps-1stLap.thumb.jpg.3088dc17ed9c355f73f102a0eba64f04.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Life and other work got in the way of finishing the table. Today is the day for the epoxy coat. A bit nervous as I have never done this process, but meh. It will work or it won’t. 

Going over the gray stain. More pics later. 

AA14AA2F-16C8-4309-984E-FD63611A37F8.jpeg

CB37E8C5-90D8-4DE5-BEB3-A032F35999A4.jpeg

Lessons learned:

Follow the mixing directions exactly. They know what they are saying. I did and it flowed very well. 

Calculate how much you need and double it. This shit is expensive and I thought I had enough. I didn’t. 

Old wood and cracks/seams between planks have to be filled in advance. My job is going to have some flaws because I did not catch this step prior to the pour. 

The blow torch is your friend. Instantly removes bubbles. The only problem is they come back around seams and cracks. See previous lesson learned. 

All in all it’s cool stuff. As I said, it will have some flaws but overall it should look really nice and the family will be messing it up with arts and crafts anyway. I need to order more product before I can finish the job. I am curious how it will butt up against the edge where I ran out of product. Meh. Character. 

8E56CAD9-69CC-4BAF-AE3A-EEF2EC6DF9F8.jpeg

F9C4DF14-10FF-4970-BA4E-822725B3CEDD.jpeg

Looking good, man.

Don't you just hate the point in a job when you realize you're short on materials? Could you pour a bit more over the existing stuff to avoid a seam on the surface where you ran out?

• 1 month later...

An update is way overdue. I was able to finish it up. The Epoxy job is “fair,” overall, but I learned a lot doing it and the next time it will be perfect. Overall it the table will serve its purpose and I am sure the kids will mess it up in short order. Job done. 

C9E39EE3-F53D-4F56-8447-998AD558F513.jpeg

• Like 1

Just pick the flawed spots to mount the reloading press and tire bead breaker and all will be good.

That's pretty damn cool looking!