CBR1100XX.org Forum

torque specs for header nuts/bolts

Dotetcher

Haynes is WAY off.  '97 factory manual calls for 21nm./15 ft.lb.  But the '99-'00 manual calls for 20nm/14ft.lb. like the Haynes.  Honda calls them 'exhaust pipe joint nut'.

I've always just done them by feel, but if I were gonna use specs I'd use the newer one.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Haynes is WAY off.  '97 factory manual calls for 21nm./15 ft.lb.  But the '99-'00 manual calls for 20nm/14ft.lb. like the Haynes.  Honda calls them 'exhaust pipe joint nut'.

I've always just done them by feel, but if I were gonna use specs I'd use the newer one.

The difference between 177inlbs or 185 inlbs. If you're doing them by feel probably not much of a difference I would think.

Yup.  I always use my in.lb. wrench for lower torques like this.  Tho I've not tested my big ft.lb. clickers, I'd be leery of them at such low settings.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dotetcher said:

The difference between 177inlbs or 185 inlbs. If you're doing them by feel probably not much of a difference I would think.

Split the difference and target 181.  And yea, mine might be way the hell off.  I do so much by feel that I rarely think about specs.  On stuff like this I feel for the part to be bottomed out plus a little bolt/stud stretch.  Next time I'm in there I'll try to remember to check them just for kicks.

Both. This bike has close to 130000 miles. Ridden hard. Put away wet. Seriously now. Ridden coast to coast, all times of the year, salted roads and unfortunately salt water a few times. Outer Banks. Rte 12. One road in, on road out....sometimes.

• Like 1