CBR1100XX.org Forum

I snapped off one of the internals on my son's new-to-him 1997 Blackbird. I'd like to get it right for him.

I've cruised around the web for hours. I can't find much information on the Manic Salamander brand. Some of the reading I did suggested that they use the OEM internal bar-weight hardware Honda provided.

I assume need to pull the old weight/core out. Am I going to have to take off the grip? They're really nice. I don't want to mess them up.I took some pictures that I'll post.

I've only ever re-attached purchased ends into the existing hardware

TIA

Bill

Been a million years, and never done it on the Bird, but as I recall they kinda wiggle out.  Put the screw in without the bar end and wiggle/pull.  Grip stays.  Not sure if this is how they come out, but shouldn't hurt to try if someone doesn't come in with a better way.

• Like 1

When I installed them I noticed nothing different about the internals. You shouldn't have to remove the grip, but may want to if you want to prevent damage on the end. I installed them with standard grip glue, so heat them up, and slide a long thin screwdriver under them all the way around.

And if you destroy them, you can always upgrade to BMW grips. The ones you have on there now were cheapos.

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

There's some kind oof steel retainer ring with a rim on it at the end, support for the weaker aluminum bar tube?

I just did it on the NC700 and Goldwing and I believe Honda still uses the same method.  There is a clip that holds it in as well as some expanding rubber.

You need to pinch both of those clip ends you see which releases it.  I took a long screw with a heavy socked head.  Put in the screw and used the socket to bang it out.

You see the 2 little shark fins sticking up (one on top and one on the bottom)...those clip into the inside of the handle bar itself.  You have to pinch the 2 end clips to push those down to release the entire end.

Image result for Honda motorcycle bar end weight removal

Image result for Honda motorcycle bar end weight removal

On 5/30/2018 at 10:09 PM, XXitanium said:

Can you tell me if those are stock XX bars please?

Mine came with two sets of aftermarkets...

Bill.....if you're asking about the '97, those are VFR bars........exactly the same fittings as a stock XX bar, just a little higher.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...