CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aftermarket wheels

Tom

Been looking thru some topics on this subject but my knowledge of bikes is too simple, I need someone to walk me through this. Knowing that bike wheels are nowhere near as simple as car wheels, swapping them needs knowledge and attention. 

So first question, well not really since I think I know the answer - is there a set of wheels from Honda that could fit 2002 Blackbird straight up? 

But more importantly, if I was to order set of aftermarket wheels (I've seen Carrozzeria is a popular choice here) do they have the set for the Bird, in a way that I don't have to buy any additional gear, i.e. leave the stock brake discs sprocket and all that, just put the new wheel instead of 3 spoke oem atrocities and go? Or are there some measurements I need to know and give it to the wheel company, like you have the offset, J values on car wheels etc.

We did a group buy many years ago for the Carrozzeria wheels which is why you see so many here from members of this forum, myself included.

Don't quote me on this but I think we got wheels designed for the ZX12. Everything matched up perfectly as far as brake caliper, axle etc except the bolt pattern for the sprocket. We had to buy a new sprocket (for the ZX12) with the rear wheel. I love my Carrozzeria gold wheels and they have held up beautiful for over 10 years. I did replace the cush drive rubbers a couple years ago.
Others that have more knowledge than I should speak up soon as there may be some other spec that is needed to get the correct wheels for a direct swap-out.

Edited by John01XX
correction
  • Like 1

Oh nice, was the ZX sprocket featured because of practicality with their stock, or some technical issue that prevented them for making the wheel ready for Bird's OEM sprocket?

21 hours ago, FTM said:

Oh nice, was the ZX sprocket featured because of practicality with their stock, or some technical issue that prevented them for making the wheel ready for Bird's OEM sprocket?

If I am not mistaken, they did not make a cush drive with the matching sprocket bolt pattern that the BlackBird has.
The ZX12 cush drive is what came with the rear wheel so you were forced to buy a new ZX12 sprocket .

Edited by John01XX
correction
  • Upvote 1

My ZXXX uses ZX10R wheels, but I had to use a ZX12 sprocket.  Don't know if that factors in any way.

No idea if the front is a bolt-in, because I have ZX14 forks (I'm guessing not).  The 10R rear rotor doesn't line up with the BB caliper, and it's been too long for me to recall what I had to do to make it work.  Pretty certain I used the ZX10 caliper and hanger, and shimmed things to match.

All this to say that ZX10 wheels may be an option if you can make the front fit.  It won't be a direct bolt-in for at least the rear, though.

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

My ZXXX uses ZX10R wheels, but I had to use a ZX12 sprocket.  Don't know if that factors in any way.

No idea if the front is a bolt-in, because I have ZX14 forks (I'm guessing not).  The 10R rear rotor doesn't line up with the BB caliper, and it's been too long for me to recall what I had to do to make it work.  Pretty certain I used the ZX10 caliper and hanger, and shimmed things to match.

All this to say that ZX10 wheels may be an option if you can make the front fit.  It won't be a direct bolt-in for at least the rear, though.

Thanks Mike, 

You jogged my memory or lack there of. 

I don't think there was such a thing as a ZX10 when we did the group buy ! Back then it was a ZX9 I think.
I need to edit my posts to say ZX12 in place of ZX10.

41 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

So no one makes or made a true bolt on wheel?

Carrozzeria didi not at the time but others matched up fine except for the cush drive bolt pattern for the drive sprocket.

So we just replaced the drive sprocket at the same time. They offered a cheap price on a choice of two different sprockets, aluminum or steel.

I have since replaced mine with a nice matching anodized gold SuperSprox for that extra bling.

Just out of curiosity - why can't regular XX sprocket be included in the aftermarket wheel setup, something on Honda design part or something else? 

I can't wrap my head around it since I never had any deal with aftermarket bike wheels, my brain is wired to think in car terms, bolt pattern/PCD, offset, J width, center bore... :D

They absolutely could make a cush drive that accepts the XX sprocket, but I'm guessing the market is small so it'd be pretty expensive.  Being forced to buy a different sprocket to make it work is small $ compared to making a cush to fit the Bird's sprocket.  If they made another cush that allows you to keep your sprocket it would probably cost a shit ton more than a sprocket does.  If you had a somewhat rare car that is rarely modified you'd probably have to buy an adapter or pay a lot for custom made wheels, this is kinda the same thing.

Superhawk is right.  When I bought my Dymag wheels, I had to get a Kawasaki sprocket as well.  I believe the 6-bolt Kawasaki sprocket pattern is fairly common with many makes and models, so most motorcycle wheel manufacturers use the same.  One cush drive for all applications saves production costs.  Almost surprised they don't offer a few sizes of brake discs to be more universal.  After that, it's just matter of them installing bearings and spacers to match your stock axle.

Car guys have it way too easy.

In the meantime I've sent a inquiry to Carrozzeria and this is the response;

Hello,

To fit a wheel to this bike would require all new components to be engineered and  produced. We do not have Data related to this model and have no plans to make wheels for this model. Sorry to say, The investment required to roll out a new wheel  heavily out weighs the market for this model.  There may be another wheel brand out there that does have an application for this bike. I wish you luck.

Its a great bike, Hope you enjoy it.

Straight up retarded since they've already sold wheels for this bike.

Maybe contact them again and remind them that they have indeed sold them, maybe they have the required info locked away somewhere.