CBR1100XX.org Forum

'Race' Banshee

104HP to the ground, what else matters?

It's got a fuck ton of shit done to it, will detail if anyone's really interested.  He spent about $15k on it.

For me it's just a flip deal.  I bought it from the person who had it built.  He first bought a basic 390-somethingCC stroker motor, ran the fuck out of it then decided he wanted more.  Now it's a totally custom 490CC with a bunch more mods to support it.  He did the incremental break-in runs over a few weekends, had it dyno tuned, ran it 3 times, then had kids, then it sat.  He was pretty meticulous with maintenance so it should be in good shape.  I've known him about 4 years and he always talked about taking it back out to play, with his wife always saying THE FUCK YOU WILL!  Apparently he's worth more alive than dead.  Lesson here, never insure yourself for more than you can make.  Anyway, Uncle Sam was about to beat him like a red headed step child and auction off their kids so I gave him some cash in exchange for a funkin race quad.  Sand racing isn't my deal so it's not something I'd use.  My only possible use for it would be to buy an RZ350 and do a motor swap, but it needs to run on race gas to make full power safely so not a usable toy on a budget.  On a quick local search this level Banshee goes in the $8-10K neighborhood, $6k for a member.

Apparently the photograph stars are in alignment for me today so I was able to post them. I dig the see-through clutch cover, and the centrifugal lock up clutch is pretty damn cool looking.

B046FB6B-CC13-45CD-A272-BD3B844CC918.jpeg

8A52D220-40D3-407C-8EC1-F22F9305F2AB.jpeg

1D5BEE3B-F514-4359-AFE2-B42B98047960.jpeg

I cleaned the carbs and it fired right up. Going to try to take it out this weekend for a little flogging before I sell it.

Pretty damn sure a stock Raptor is faster than a stock banshee.  A mild Banshee (basic pipes & intake like "everyone" does) can be a bit faster than a Raptor.  Winning requires a better rider to use it effectively compared to the easy Raptor use which is pin the throttle and shift sometime before the rev limiter so you don't loose speed.  A Trinity stage 2 is a pretty good set-up, a fast a toy that almost anyone can play with and it will spank a Raptor, but it still takes a hair more skill to do it.  A little "peaky" but still decently well rounded and not overly deadly.  Trinity is a fan of the single carb conversion, and it probably makes a lot of sense for a mild-ish toy.  I think they run the same one that this thing has two of.  In Trinity terms I'm guessing this would be about a stage X....or XX 🙂.  If you ask for it it'll give it to ya, all the way to the scene of the crash.

I was surprised at how well it started, idled, and snapped cleanly when throttled.  I expected more finicky manners.  Riding it will tell the tale.  I'm assuming I'll live through it to come back and tell the tale.  I'm currently figuring out which place to go for the race gas.....fuckin hot-rodded toys.  VP 120 is the best smelling/tasting to use in a Zippo, but it's overkill for this thing, and I don't know if they still make it.  That stuff has the most beautiful blue color and the smell, before and after burn, was absolutely amazing.  Trick smells awful, at least the one's I've been around.  Yes, I plan to have extra gas to use for other purposes.  I will sell this quad.  I will sell this quad.  I will sell this quad.  Does it really take writing it 50 times to make it true?

Why sell, just enjoy. 

These guy did drag racing quads. 

They had a christmas tree and everything for their play area of local antics betting and tuning. 

Then would go to the sand drags at Newtown Dragway to run for money. 

Worked with a few and would bring to work and ride the property.  People would then go buy a stock honda 450 and run 104 or 110 gas in them thinking they would have a chance to compete with people that have 10 grand in their engine alone. 

After you test ride it you will either keep it or be scared. 

Love the smell of 2stroke in the afternoon 

3 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

After you test ride it you will either keep it or be scared. 

I'm scared that I might wanna keep it.

But it's not really geared for the kind of places we go and the riding I've done.  And I have no dirt gear so more shit to buy if I'm gonna keep it and really use it.  Plus finding a good place to store it.

Yup.  It's super bitchen, but I don't want another vehicle to deal with.  If this was Arizona I might plate it and keep it to play with, but I'm not into it enough to haul it somewhere to play with it enough to justify keeping it.

I put the dirt tires on and played with it just a tiny bit today, one rip up the driveway and through the backyard.  As soon as it got a little above idle it snapped to life and spun tires.  Not a challenge to spin knobbies on cement or dirt, but it did it with authority, even in second gear.

The PO told me they couldn't get it to idle; carbs are too big, it needs too much fuel, motor's too built.....the usual retarded shit.  "Never try to let it idle, if you do it'll stall then take several kicks to re-start, and never expect it to start with less than 3 kicks".  I sent him a video of it idling.  "How'd you do that"?!?  Screwdriver to the idle mix and idle speed screws, just like I expected.  Then he came over and asked if he could hear it, he jumped on and kicked it several times & gave up.  Standing next to it I held the throttle just off idle and gave it a kick and it lit right up.  An hour later I started it again, first kick.  I think he was giving it too much throttle, but not sure.

Funny you say that.  He asked if/when he has cash again if he can buy it back.

Picked up race gas today, should be burning some of it this weekend.

Dragged it out to my friend's house who lives next to open riding.  About the time I was feeling comfortable with it to start turning up the heat, 10 minutes or so, it started running funny then died.  Before that it was pretty spectacular.  A little finicky with heavy throttle at low RPM but once it 'came on' it was insanely powerful.  I have no idea what the revs were when it was topped out, but it sounded a lot like an RC nitro motor revved out.

After about 15 minutes of trying every few minutes it restarted and I headed towards his house, about 2/3 of the way there it died again.  Another wait and many kicks later I managed to get to his driveway.  Fiddled with it a little and said fuck it.  I guessed it was something with the ignition, probably a bad stator.  It has an almost new Ricky's in it.  When I got home I unplugged the stator to probe it with my ohm meter, not having the specs it seemed ok-ish.  I plugged it back in, hoping to run it and get it hot to re-test and it ran perfectly.  Apparently it just had a bad connection in the stator plug.  Sucks ass that I 'wasted' the trip as far as riding went, but I had fun with my friend so fuck it.

It'll be a great toy for someone with big balls and the desire to fly across the desert.  I have a customer/buddy with a big construction yard, I'll probably take it there for a run to confirm that it's good to go then post the sale ad.

Seems to like you working on it. Better than the guy who cant work on it and just sells it off.. 

Wish we could ride at work. Only a select few can. They get away with it by saying they are checking out the property. No joy riding on site allowed. 

We first talked about the Banshee well over a year ago, he was gonna have me get it running so he could sell it.  It came up a few more times here & there, mostly when he needed $ I think.  We both figured it might get around $8k.  Then a few months ago we talked about trading it for a nice pickup I was selling, his work truck was on its last legs.  Then he got a lump of money and bought a near new Ram diesel, around $40k.  Then the tax man came knocking and his wife's car needed some work so the sale/barter of the Banshee got put into actual motion.

Can't say I really like working on stuff, but I usually don't mind it.  It generally doesn't start weighing on me 'til the work time on something exceeds the fun time from it by a fairly large margin.

It has gone back & forth on running well and barely running.  Seemed like every time I tried something it would fix the problem, but only temporarily.  I finally found the actual problem, the harness was touching the right exhaust pipe and had worn through the insulation on a wire.  It would intermittently short out the ignition and when I fiddled with stuff it would get moved a little and stop the short.  I sealed it back up, re-routed, and secured it away from harm.  I took a rip down the street and even in 4th gear it'll just spin the tires as it comes onto the power.

This thing is retarded, and stupid fun.  If it had reverse I might just keep it.  If I found an RZ350 cheap enough I'd do a motor swap so I could actually enjoy the power.