CBR1100XX.org Forum

The Turbo XX is dead.

XX4me

The bike has been sitting for about a year or so. Decided I was going to get it ready to take the OzarkXX. Bought new tires, brake pads, spark plugs, started getting everything ready. Found that number one cylinder was full of coolant.

Now to decide whether to rebuild or just buy another XX and use this one for parts. Or part it out and buy something else.

Fuck.

20180513_152251.jpg

I would do post mortem inspection first. It could be as simple as slow leaking head gasket. Easy fix. Skim the head, new gasket and you are good to go.

IIRC you have low compression pistons ?

It has been many years  since I removed head on XX,  but most likely the engine has to lowered to pull the head out. I mean bottom rear mounting bolt stays in place, just drop the front couple of inches.

Much easier to reinstall camshafts that way- you are actually able to see timing marks on cam sprockets. 

The discoloration of the fluid would indicate at least a degree of oxidation of the cast iron sleeve. This necessites spliting the cases and honing the cylinder. Most likely rings and at least one piston.

Edited by XX4me

Clear the coolant out of the cylinder, put the oil back in, and fire it up.  Then do a compression test and see how much repair it really needs.

I'd leak it down before I pulled anything apart.
It will give insight into whether you need to do more than just fix the leak.
IIRC, you have a air-water intercooler...Is that system full?
Are you sure it's anti-freeze in the cylinder?

The head bolts are pretty stout on these as are the hard parts...I'd guess you have a failed head gasket.

Guess its possible to have a cracked sleeve but kinda doubtful.
I may have a low mileage head around if you find u need one.
Hank

I would soak offending cylinder with PB blaster, mystery marver Oil, etc. before trying to fire up or doing leakdown test.

Decided to sell it off and replace with a stock XX. I'm going to miss the insane accelleration, but I just don't really have the time to split the cases and rebuild her. If I went that route it would inevitably by years before it was back together.

I got a real nice 03  stocker in trade when I sold my turbo.

After riding  it around the block once,  I immediately listed it for sale.
Pay someone else to fix it?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, HANKSXXX said:

I got a real nice 03  stocker in trade when I sold my turbo.

After riding  it around the block once,  I immediately listed it for sale.

That may happen to me too. I haven't ridden a stock bird in a few years.

The other bikes like, zx14 and busa just don't speak to me. Otherwise I'd consider switching.

The ZX-14 didn't excite me either until I rode one.
I bought John Perez's and rode it for 2 years, sold it and bought a used 2012 ZX14R.
Still riding it today....I think it's a natural progression from the BB, if you can past by the looks.

36 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

What about H2 SE?

Might be fun, but 22 large is out of my wifes comfort zone and I can't siphon that much from the petty cash account.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

So not even gonna check to see if it's actually damaged?

There is coolant in the cylinder with the most likely cause being a failed head gasket, meaning pull the head. Next the liquid that was expelled was rust colored meaning the cylinder will need to be honed, so split the cases. I'd say that qualifies as damaged.

The motor has 40k with the turbo.

If I had the time to remove the motor and take it apart I would. I would also want to hone all the cylinders, replace the pistons, degree the cam shafts, replace the pos hahn header, ect. ect. ect.

I'm still trying to work out a way to keep it, but I don"t want it to become a pile of dusty parts in the corner of the garage because of my work schedule.

Edited by XX4me

A quick fix. depending on which cylinder is hurt (not all are accessable), is to pull the pan and remove the rod cap, then the rod and piston.
Run a ball hone through the cylinder and put a low mileage piston back in.
This worked on one motor for me and frankly, wasn't the nicest of fixes but it saved time and money.
After running it for a while, leakdown was slightly lower in that cylinder but still well within reason.
As far as degreeing the cams go, turbos can benefit from more exhaust flow.
I used a FI exhaust cam with a carbed intake and degreed them but didn't really see much of an improvement.
I also degreed the stock cams and again, not much of an improvement.
You want improvement, add some boost...but you know that, right...:)

Yep. ;)

Adjusting the cams was just an option I hadn't tried. Like I said it's really time constrants and when I'd have time and funds to dive into it.

Superhawk

The motor was running fine when I rode it last. As far as what's been done to it low compression pistons, falicon crank, carillo rods, liquid to air intercooler. It was set to run 12lbs on low and 18lbs on high boost. HP was around 275.

I didn't realize the motor had been built...

Which cylinder had the anti freeze in it?

IIRC, I slipped #3 out without disassembling the engine.

Some are possible, some NG but I don't remember which was which.
You have a great combo there....be a shame not to get it running again.
Time...head gasket...ring set....odds and ends= irreplaceable bike!
Fix it Forrest or send it out for repair.