CBR1100XX.org Forum

What are XX's worth in 2018?

silverbird1100

That's very low mileage for an XX. Light drop on one side? Mostly stock? Not nearly enough info to make a judgment call.  Tires? Fluids? Chain/sprockets? Ask all these questions and more . . .

FWIW, the price could be in the ballpark for a decent rider (as opposed to a collectible example).

I agree with Ironmike, its purely subjective, what are you willing to accept as normal ware and tear ( Good to go) these tires if they are the originals are 15 yrs. old. how old is the battery?

What if anything are you willing to spend to make it reliably  roadworthy ? by all means ride this first , have the brake lines been bled and fluid replaced ? where has this bike been stored ? 

Good luck

I tend to push mine hard, if I were you I would be looking into Coolant change, ( Dexcool works for me) oil and Filter change, new Battery and tires. Go have fun............

They're worth exactly as much as someone's willing to pay.

As for that Dexcool recommendation that stuff is really acidic so I'd be leery of it.

6 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

All original, tires, battery, chain, everything.  Not sure if that's good or bad 😂.  Damage is minor, dropped in gravel, always garaged. 

Original tires, so they obviously need changing ASAP.  Original battery.....that means he hasn't ridden it in 10 years or jump starts it, neither is a good thing.  We know these things will make big miles so the only real advantage to low miles is the feel good feeling or if you want it to last another 200k.

Here's a basic negotiation strategy . . .

Price a set of new tires (installed - mounted/balanced), new chain & sprockets, battery, oil/fluids change, etc. (anything else it might need).

Total everything up, deduct that amount from the asking price; that gives you a reasonable starting point.

How you proceed to negotiate is up to you. Keep the pragmatic factors foremost in mind, rather than the subjective (or emotional ) elements.

In other words, keep how badly you might want it close to your vest - believe me, among those of us who own XXs, we get it.

Best of luck!

• Upvote 2

...include some money for shop labor in that even if you plan to do some of the work. Big Hondas do tend to depreciate down to a level, level out and hold their value after that. I have agreed values w/insurance - $3,500 for each of mine.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I have agreed values w/insurance - $3,500 for each of mine.

I learned that agreed value and stated value sound similar but are totally different.  FYI for those who don't know.  $3500 sounds about right for clean ones unless they have lots of bling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I went and looked at it, super nice guy even let me ride it.  Forgot how smooth they are, it's pretty banged up though there's scrapes on everywhere on the left side, but not too bad, exhaust is fine.  Not sure how much lower than $4500 he'll go.  

I take it if I want one with <10,000 miles I should jump on this one?

Edited by silverbird1100

Strongly suggest you rethink your mileage limitation.  Low mileage does not certainly ensure "pristinity" as this example demonstrates.  There are some really nice examples out there with a bit more mileage.  Plastichead's was a really nice bike with nice extras for that price, for instance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

I take it if I want one with <10,000 miles I should jump on this one?

Yes, if you wan't one with <10k, you should jump on the first one you find. There ain't many of those left and that number drops every day.

That said, Joe and Blackhawk nailed it. A well cared for 30-40k beats a banged up 10k every day in my book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

If you absolutely need one with less than 10k miles that hasn't been dropped......

hmm. Should I sell it or not....decisions, decisions.

You mean the one that had almost 100k you rode out west? Rolled over with under 10k. You be funny.

I don't need less than 10K or even 20K I'm just looking for a nice one without a lot of use.  I know the engine is unbreakable but the more miles a bike has the more time a shitty owner has to treat it poorly. 

I'm ok with the drop too but not for the price of a pristine one. 

Edited by silverbird1100