CBR1100XX.org Forum

torque settings

D2

I know I've been away a long time. I can't access the shop manual and i'm waiting on the mods to let me know why, but in the meantime I need some help with the torque settings for the fork pinch bolts, the rear axle and front brake calipers. also do I need blue or red Loctite for the brake calipers. thanks for the help Dave

Guys, the shop manual and parts manual that Skull posted are fully functional for me.

Keep in mind that the manual is a 150meg PDF, and it takes my computer (not really slow) on a fiber connection (not really slow) all of 15-20 seconds to open the file. 

Try it and wait a minute to see if it opens, please.

I`m not trying to dis anyone here but I only use torque wrench for cylinder head and 13 b engine.

There is documentary about  Cosworth`s F1 engine development during first turbo era . Those guys tighten up everything by feel. No torque wrenches.

The only time I fucked up something was when I tried to tighten oil drain bolt with torque wrench. I looked at it wrong scale ( beam type wrench ) and split the oil pan on XX.  lol. 

4 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Guys, the shop manual and parts manual that Skull posted are fully functional for me.

Keep in mind that the manual is a 150meg PDF, and it takes my computer (not really slow) on a fiber connection (not really slow) all of 15-20 seconds to open the file. 

Try it and wait a minute to see if it opens, please.

This is what I get from both links from Mr. Skull.

Shot.thumb.png.c6523e96f289cd7c80a24e8407d38c41.png

7 hours ago, tomek said:

I`m not trying to dis anyone here but I only use torque wrench for cylinder head and 13 b engine.

There is documentary about  Cosworth`s F1 engine development during first turbo era . Those guys tighten up everything by feel. No torque wrenches.

The only time I fucked up something was when I tried to tighten oil drain bolt with torque wrench. I looked at it wrong scale ( beam type wrench ) and split the oil pan on XX.  lol. 

Torque by feel works if you have acquired the feel, otherwise it usually leads to shit being over tightened, and once in a while left loose.  If you had the feel your pan would still be intact because you would have ignored the number when your feel said "stop, something's not right".  

I torque lots of stuff by feel because I wrench a lot and feel that I have the feel, but when someone wants specs and will use a torque wrench I applaud them for not going at it willy-nilly and fucking something up.

Average torque on a rear axle nut is around 70 and I've watched guys who know this crank them down to double that and more.  Much like most people will over tighten lug nuts to ludicrous torque.  If you're using a normal length 1/2" drive ratchet to tighten your axle and you stand on it you've already gone overboard, when you jump on it it's now at ludicrous torque.

I'm with tomek.  I've been turning wrenches quite  a while, and seldom use a torque wrench.  When using one, more frequently in aluminum, I'm often wondering if its correct, because I believe I can feel the threads bending, and my hand gauge reads "tight enough" and I'm hoping for that "click."  Threads in aluminum get tight, then seem to start to loosen about a half turn before they strip out.  Regardless of torque, if I get to that point where the takedown seems to just get a little softer, I feel like I've gone just an RCH too far.

9 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If you had the feel your pan would still be intact because you would have ignored the number when your feel said "stop, something's not right".  

Well, no . What happened I removed my "feel " from the process of tightening the bolt and blindly relied on the markings ( wrong scale ) . The fact the arm on TW was about 2.5 longer vs. driver I would normally use did not help. Basically brain fade.

Even with cylinder head if it is motorcycle type all steel gasket my "feel" agrees with TW readings. Composite head gasket are different story. I just RTFM. Read The Fucking Manual.