CBR1100XX.org Forum

After Market Exhaust Question

tecman

I have an '02 XX that the previous owner put a 4 into 1 Two Brothers exhaust on.  When I got the bike it had 18K on the clock.  I am nearing 104K now.

I like the exhaust, the way it sounds and the weight savings.  My issue is that there is now a crack in the neck of the muffler, right before the can starts.  I noticed it the other day on a cold morning when I noticed a secondary puff of exhaust coming out of the hole.

I have looked all over but Two Brothers does not seem to make this same muffler any more.  I have not reached out to them directly but I have looked at their web site extensively and there is nothing listed as being for the Bird.  I have also looked at Ebay and found nothing.

I thought the exhaust was getting a little loud and wondered if I needed to get the can re-packed.  I had also thought about buying a new muffler.  Now that there is a crack I am feeling more pressed to do something.

Can I get JB Weld or something else to fix the crack?  Would another muffler, not a Two Brothers, have a problem fitting on the pipe?  Any suggestions for mufflers?

I would be grateful for some help and guidance with this.

Thanks.

The mufflers may not be listed for bird but they were all standard sizes mostly. The header pipe being the most bike specific part. If the connection between header and muffler are same size/style they will fit. Can contact 2bros about that and see what yrs and bikes were sold with that style muffler to widen search. 

Can take it off and depending on what type of metal, stainless, alum the end cap if you can have it welded up and smoothed back down. Titanium doubt will be welded, but can possibly be brazed. 

Repacking is easy, will lightly quiet down the note of it for a little bit. If rivited end caps are on the exhaust, drill them out, pull out replace wrap and pop rivet back using closed end rivet. 

Might be an opportunity to remove exhaust, have end cap welded and repack, two birds one stone. 

Edited by The Krypt Keeper

JB weld probably won't hold up to the heat, but no harm in trying.  There's also some exhaust sealant stuff that's kinda like clay, it won't help much for bonding/strengthening the cracked area, but should seal it up.

I have reached out to Two Brothers to see what they may have for a replacement.  I think that is really going to be the best way to go to fix the problem properly.

If Two Brothers doesn't have something comparable I would love some suggestions on alternatives.  

Thanks again.

You know,  I thought about mentioning that but did not.  When I got the bike (I am the third owner) it had 18K miles.  The second owner put the 4 into 1 system on the bike but I don't know what the mileage was when he did so.  

I got some photos when the clock hit 100K.  I will take more when it hits 118K knowing that I put 100K on my Bird.  :-)

• Upvote 1

So I heard back from Two Brothers and they do not make anything that will fit the system I have on the Bird.  I sent them pictures and they said no go.

I am looking around and not finding anything specific for a 4 into 1 for the Bird.  I see some mufflers that are rated for the CBR 929/954 and was wondering if that would work on a Blackbird or if the increased ccs would blow it out.  

I have looked at mufflers that are for bikes with larger ccs, like the Kawasaki Connie, and some of those look like they would fit.  I just don't want to get a muffler that "looks" like it will work with my system but then be an issue later.

I may just buy an inexpensive stand in to use temporarily while I get the Two Brothers repaired.  Something like this: 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/danmoto-conical-gp-slip-on-exhaust

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I would love anyone with better knowledge to give me a hand.

Thanks again.

Edited by tecman

You wont blow out anything with a different exhaust for another bike. 

Take some measurements of the the muffler at connecting point. Check the ID or OD of the pipe and look for similar to mate up to the header pipe. 

The mufflers were all basically the same, headers were different. 

Take some pics and post of pipe and how they connect and sure we can find the exact muffler that also fit a kawi or yammer

I measured the header and it is 2".  I took some pictures of the muffler and the crack.  Looks like the header is not quite straight and it finally wore out the side of the neck of the muffler.

I was looking at these two mufflers as possible replacements.  

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-rs3-slip-on-exhaust

https://www.revzilla.com/product/yoshimura-rs1-street-bolt-on-exhaust-honda-cbr954rr-cbr929rr

I appreciate the link to the full systems but I do not want to have to change the entire thing, just get a new slip on.  If that is possible.

20180424_153628.jpg

20180424_153641.jpg

20180424_153636.jpg

20180424_153647.jpg

Just get something used from ebay. Vast majority of mufflers for aftermarket systems use 2 or 2.25 inch inlet. BTW, are you sure is it 2.0 inch in your case ?

Here something should work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-HONDA-CBR-F4i-TWO-BROTHERS-RACING-SLIP-ON-EXHAUST/132538278725?hash=item1edbe5a345:g:r0cAAOSwWmNaqFcZ&vxp=mtr 

Just ask seller to measure ID of inlet.

Or find precrashed TB can with good inlet end. It is all river construction, you should be able to swap parts in 1 hr or so. I would be a good time to repack the muffler.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem resolved.  Not a perfect fit to the header but I can make it work with some tie wire.

Not as loud as the Two Brothers, either.

20180509_015025.jpg

• Upvote 2