CBR1100XX.org Forum

Calorie and weight management question...

Most days, I’m just tired all the time, and workouts are suffering.  I wake up naturally, go to bed early, so it shouldn’t be a lack of rest or sleep.

Have/had a low T issue that is under control.  Low thyroid that doctor will follow up on next month at my annual physical.  Still, it’s ever since I started the new job that I feel run down all the time.

It should not be stress.  The new job is crazy easy compared to my last job.  Most days, I have next to nothing to do.  Due to the drop in activity, I cut back my food intake to not gain weight, but I keep feeling run down.  I used to spend around 2 hours in the gym 3 times a week doing up to 3 sets.  Now I struggle to do one set.  Joints and muscles ache, and most times I feel like I need a nap even though I just woke up and know I got a decent night’s sleep.

As I’ve been getting worse since the job change, am I just not eating enough?

Diet-wise....

On any weekday I have:

Two protein bars

+/- 190 cal - 15g protein - 27g carbs - 6g fats (each bar)

I know it doesn’t look like much, but one bar keeps me full for 3-4 hours.

Dinner is often meat and veggies and is a wild card.

On a gym day, I add:

Post-Workout Shake

+/- 290 calories- 51g protein - 10g carbs - 6g fats

On a non-gym day, I often have:

Gluten-free English muffin w/butter and fruit spread

+/- 340 calories - 5g protein - 50g carbs - 12g fats

At my old job, which was a desk job but had me going nonstop at almost 50 hours each week, I typically had two protein shakes in addition to my food bars...and 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

Protien Shake

+/- 160 cal - 30g protein - 4g carbs - 3g fats (each)

Sorry if this looks bad...I had to compose it on my phone.

Here is what my diet looks like at 210 lbs and gaining...

Breakfast: 6 eggs and big piece of toast

Snack: PB sandwhich on wheat

Lunch:  Meat with rice and a veggie, if it is around

Snack: Sandwhich with meat and mayo...sometimes cheese

Dinner: Big meal with meat and carbs....usually pretty healthy.

Banana before workout with coffee

7pm: workout

8:30pm: Big shake with milk and some sugar after workout only.  

11pm: Cottage cheese or lean protein before bed.  

Yesterday I was really hungry at around 10am.....I ate 2 protein bars.  Then for lunch, a big lean burger patty, bowl of pasta and meat sauce.  

You gotta eat man.  If your hunger isn't really strong, you need to workout more and be more active.  Protein bars are supplements and are not a substitute for a good base diet.  They are meant to..you guessed it...supplement a good diet.  

Edited by TuffguyF4i

Lose the protein bars and shakes and eat real food. Like Tuffguy said, that stuff is intended for supplementing and not supposed to be the basis of any healthy diet. Nothing wrong with a protein bar or shake between meals, but you should be eating actual meals first and foremost.

Not sure with your weird format, but it also looks like you need to be eating more, a lot more. I'm currently about 210 and holding, I'll eat 2500-3000 calories on an "office" day and that goes to to 4000+ if I'm out of the house working- but my job when out and about is waaay more active than most so I'm not suggesting you do the latter.

I know my eating habits are weird.

I lay off starches and carbs-heavy items (pasta, cereal, bread, rice, potatoes, etc.) because I’ve always had a slow metabolism and the gym is the pinnacle of my day’s activity.  As I said, at my last job, I was always on the go even though it was a desk job.  Now, I don’t even do 1/10 of the activity.  So, I cut back my intake to avoid gaining weight.

I really don’t cook, and I would rather use ready-to-eat items rather than have to waste an afternoon making meals for the week.  Hence the protein bars and shakes.  Most RTE items in the store are loaded with junk.

Of course, the poor performance at the gym only makes me more self conscious about eating too much during the day.

I also wonder if my diet needs more protein, fats, carbs, all three?

Track what you're eating. 2000-2500 calories a day shouldn't be enough for you to gain much, if any, weight even if you're completely sedentary beyond the gym.

Try 40/40/20 Protein/Fat/Carbs or around there to start and track changes/progress, tweak as necessary for weight (muscle) gain or fat loss.

Another factor- you're getting old. That's not a dig, as you're about my age. Fact is it takes more work and attention to detail at our age just to tread water than it would have 10-15 years ago to make serious changes.  You want to make serious changes now you'll have to engage your OCD and work pretty hard at it.

edited to clarify- that 40/40/20 is by calories, not grams or any other unit of weight.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Aunt Zero said:

No, and according to the CDC, I don’t have the symptoms for Lyme disease.

I'm not saying that you do but I have read that it can manifest in many different ways with some not being diagnosed for years.  But, I have no medical background so...... 

31 minutes ago, Aunt Zero said:

I am open to the idea that I could have a disease...

Of course you are, LOL.

32 minutes ago, Aunt Zero said:

but I’d have to first eliminate other more obvious factors.

Good man. Fix your diet, it's currently all kinds of fucked up from what I can tell from that mess of an original post.

You are killing your metabolism with that shit diet.

I say keep the supplements and add a lot of food. You need more of everything.

It looks like you typically eat around 800 to maybe 1000 cals. No way thats enough.

Preworkout at the very least have a banana in addition to your shake. You need carbs to fuel your workout.

You could also just add a pb&j sandwich for preworkout but you definitely need to eat more.

Track your intake for a while using an app like myfitnesspal or loseit. You need to figure out exactly how much you are eating and knowing the macros is useful too.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone list some small meals to make or prep for an average week of real food.

Trying myself to get away from Cliff bars and Kind pressed fruit bars for two weeks and failed terrible. Work out of town a lot so they are easy grab and go. Is easy for me to just eat 1 of each and then grilled chicken or turkey and veggies at dinner. Might snack on a handful of unsalted mixed nuts couple days a week. 

Diet restrictions are red meats, salt and carbs. 

I had.to return three boxes of protein bars.  They had soy protein.  I found a replacement product, but I’ll save those for when I need “grab and go” options.  I’ve added eggs and Greek yogurt into my day meals.

Hard boiled eggs, cheese, pre-cut fresh veggies, nuts, turkey jerky...cold cuts and milk are good options if you can keep them cold. Yogurt is a mainstay for me, suck it disagrees with you. 

• Upvote 1

What about quantity? 2 eggs, or so many ounces. 

Wife tells me she hates that I only eat whatever bars and basically all my dinners are a baked or grilled form of chicken or turkey. 

I dont have much choice so I eat a salad, yard bird and typically some corn, broccoli or green beans. Feel 100% better but also not losing any weight. 

See my dog food recipe in the Beans thread - omit the hot dogs, otherwise it's a pretty good protein source that's tasty and low in fat.  Add veggies and some fruit at different times of the day, dairy (cheese, yogurt, or milk) for fat.  Eggs as necessary, they aren't the devil.

No, that's all bullshit, but I figured I'd add my 2 cents as I'm the picture of health.

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

How long do you all feel comfortable leaving hard boiled eggs refrigerated?

I’d say 2 weeks.  Mom makes about 6-8 at a time.  Longest I’ve seen them last is around 2 weeks. So long as the shell remains intact...

I hard boil a dozen at a time. Eat at least 2 a day so never left for more than 6 days in the frig.
I hard boil and then shell them, while they are still slightly warm so the shell comes off easily.
If you refrigerate them with the shell on, it is tough getting the shell off without removing

much of the egg white, along with the shell.
Our local grocery store (Publix) sells hard boiled eggs that are already shelled, They are sealed

in a plastic bag and have a 3 week store shelf life, so I figure 1 week freshly hard boiled is good for me.