CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo Quit after Heavy Rain Ride

runninn

I had an incident many years back.  Turned bike on.  Speedo jumped from zero to max and back.  After that, no lights or turn signals or speed reading.  Couldn’t find a cause.  Wired a parallel circuit to have one working headlamp.

The next day, I accidentally hit the turn signal switch and everything was back.  To this day, I have no clue what caused the problem or why it went away on its own.  I even tore down the front end and did the loom fix.  Nothing appeared to be in bad shape.

I have used the Speedohealer product on three different bikes over the years including my 01 Bird. sense 2005 . I would look first at the VSS connector. Pull it apart, check it for corrosion.

clean all electrical connectors with  "channel changer cleaner"  it comes in an aerosol can, I have not bought any in several years, but  use to get it from Radio Shack, I would look at E-Bay for it now.

Good Luck

I also had an issue with intermittent speedo loss.  In that case, it turned out to be some funk that got flung onto the speed sensor...jut enough to impede reading the spinning of the driving gear.

7 hours ago, Aunt Zero said:

I had an incident many years back.  Turned bike on.  Speedo jumped from zero to max and back.  After that, no lights or turn signals or speed reading.  Couldn’t find a cause.  Wired a parallel circuit to have one working headlamp.

The next day, I accidentally hit the turn signal switch and everything was back.  To this day, I have no clue what caused the problem or why it went away on its own.  I even tore down the front end and did the loom fix.  Nothing appeared to be in bad shape.

...add Necromancer to the list.