CBR1100XX.org Forum

1985 Kawi GPZ550 crossthreaded oil filter

OrganDonor

So, my dad is a dolt. I noticed at the end of the summer that he hadn't been by my house in a while to ride his bike. When I asked him about it, he admitted that he had apparently crossthreaded the oil filter mount when he attempted his most recent oil change, and it spewed oil from it when it ran... so... no running the bike.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? I honestly don't think he's going to ever ride again, given his deteriorating mental state. I'd love to sell it and get it out of my overcrowded garage, but it would be way easier if it ran... without fucking up the engine.

I would open it up, make an attempt to clean up the threads in the case with a tap, and hope I could accurately thread the bolt.

The fine pitch of the bolt threads into the aluminum case.  There's no threaded insert to remove.  There's enough metal there to ream out the case and put in a helicoil, but that's not a job I'd consider looking up at the bottom of a bike.

I don't remember the bike well.  If its really pristine, a collector might be interested.  That sucks.

Assuming an external filter.

”Cut” it off if need be.  I believe there is a tool that can “rethread” damaged bolt threads.  Try that to rehabilitate any damage.  Hopefully his fuckup in cross threading didn’t do much damage.

Do you have room to get at it with tools?

4 hours ago, Aunt Zero said:

Assuming an external filter.

”Cut” it off if need be.  I believe there is a tool that can “rethread” damaged bolt threads.  Try that to rehabilitate any damage.  Hopefully his fuckup in cross threading didn’t do much damage.

Do you have room to get at it with tools?

You assumed wrong.

Cartridge type filter with center bolt.image.jpeg.f27d62d4e17945117ba3a5912fe3aae3.jpeg

Easy to chase the bolt threads with a thread file, but of coarse it's the aluminum case threads that get fucked.  Do they even make Heli-coils for that size?

Not going to be fun, for sure.

Edited by jon haney

From time to time i buy "used or non running" bikes as winter projects to resell or keep for my collection, If I had a color picture and knew the mileage, I might be interested on a as is basis, only thing is you are a long way from Dallas.  

Pull it off and take a look.  Maybe re-insert the bolt with only the housing to guide it straight and see if it threads ok.  That assembly is so long that it's hard to imagine it having been cross threaded, but it might be.  Or maybe he just left an o-ring out, or stacked a new o-ring on top of the old one, or maybe there's just something stuck in there keeping the o-ring from seating.

If it needs to be heli-coiled it'll be tough to drill it straight.  My thought would be to reinsert the bolt with the housing so you know it's straight and strip the fuck out of it, basically enlarging the hole with the bolt.  That should open it up enough for the heli-coil tap to grab & cut.  Use the housing to guide the tap so that you get a straight shot.  That's assuming they make a helicoil in that size.  The tap provided is a starting tap and may bottom out before cutting enough threads so you may have to cut as far as you can, then grind the end off the tap to turn it into a bottoming tap, then cut the rest of the threads.  If you don't know the 'starting' 'bottoming' terms google them, then what I say will probably make sense.  If not PM me for a phone conversation.

I wondered if it was cross-threaded but hadn't been completely ham-handed in (because it was loose enough to leak) if the damaged threads couldn't just be ground out of existance and the deeper threads used to connect.  The mounting hole is capped because its the feed from the oil pump, so you can't make more threads.  Even with that, you're into engine pullin' and maybe case strippin' territory.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, srideaux said:

From time to time i buy "used or non running" bikes as winter projects to resell or keep for my collection, If I had a color picture and knew the mileage, I might be interested on a as is basis, only thing is you are a long way from Dallas.  

From Memory (I could be wrong) I believe it's in far from pristine condition, his dad used to ride it in winter. 

I almost cross-threaded the one on my old Yamaha 650 Maxim.  It wasn't hard to fuck up, if you tried to do it one-handed.   Managed to get it back in straight.  The big problem with those bolts was rounding the 12mm hex on the top of the bolt.  Seriously doubt he could cross-thread and get the cover anywhere close to seated.  Like someone said, there is a lot of thread there.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:17 PM, jon haney said:

The big problem with those bolts was rounding the 12mm hex on the top of the bolt.  Seriously doubt he could cross-thread and get the cover anywhere close to seated.  Like someone said, there is a lot of thread there.

My old CB650 was like that. It was a bitch to break loose at required intervals.

That looks like my ex's nighthawk 650 (1982?), from what my dealership told me was never sold stateside, which made it nearly impossible to get parts for the thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can you get something like this in the correct thread?

https://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-640811-Back-Tap-Thread-Repair/dp/B0014FGVVW

Goes into the hole past the damaged ones, picks up on good threads, expands, and then you back it out.

That works well for spark plugs, used it a few times.  In the case of the filter I don't think there's enough depth.  Had it only been threaded in one or two turns maybe, but it sounds like it was fully threaded.  I'm also thinking it wasn't cross threaded and it's just a case of a missing or damaged 0-ring or something out of place but the Donor is keeping us in the dark.  I'll assume he's just been too lazy to check and not intentionally leaving us in the dark.

Whoa, biatch! It's the dark winter here in the Northeast, and his bike is buried behind my three bikes in gay-rage. I haven't laid eyes on this issue myself, just taken his word on this. Once the ice age breaks I'll take a look at it myself, as I want to clear some space in the two car garage!

First workd problems. I'm in.

I bought a CB750 basket case in 2008 while I was unemployed "that time". My wife then confirmed and reafirmed I'm nuts. (The price was right). It has Carillo rods and a Falicon crank for a 913 build. I have a title and license in my name. I'm at TDC and can't get past it.

I have four running bikes. The fifth is buried in a garage that varies from minus holy hell to just damn unworkable. Said first world problem garage is half insulated, which is about as good as not insulated.

....someday....

Edited by XXitanium

• 1 month later...

What's the thread size? Did a quick search and there's an 18 and 20mm Helicoil but no 19. will also depend on how much meat is left around the threads.

yow! Just did a search on the kits and they're nearly $180 for a kit!