CBR1100XX.org Forum

'01 Silverado

Been quiet here so; White '01 4X4 Z71 LS trim.  Extended cab short bed 5.3 auto with 139k for $3500.  Dark grey/black interior, cloth seats.  Haven't checked the gear ratio so the tow rating is either 8K or 9K.  It's likely going to have a salvage title, hasn't been reported yet.  It's possible it falls through the cracks and retains a clean title.  It might go to a buddy, but he hasn't confirmed.  If nobody jumps at it at buddy pricing I'll probably do the $500ish in body repairs and advertise it for much more, but keeping it for more than a a couple more weeks will mean a new insurance policy, mine maxes out at 6 vehicles, and I'd rather not deal with it.

It was totaled when the driver hit a parked trailer.  Ripped the right front spindle off, broke both ball joints & the tie rod end.  I repaired it and without doing an alignment, other than tape measured toe setting, it runs straight despite it rolling on the spare which is a different size and offset than the other 3 wheels/tires.  Alignment might be perfect or maybe the spare is counteracting something.  Right fender & mirror are toast and the door is damaged.  The door might be worth fixing, but a complete color matched one at a junkyard is cheap enough that it's unlikely worth fixing and painting this one.

Everything works, the worst thing I can find with it is that the driver's window makes a little noise when going up & down indicating that the regulator might be starting to wear out, but it works fine.  Other than the above the truck is really clean for an '01.  The original owner was a little old man that apparently just used it as his commuter car 'till he died.  I was called in to check it over when my friend bought it from the widow and it appeared to be very well cared for.  Garage kept, not a scuff on it, and the interior smelled almost like new.  Shocks were a little soft, pitman & idler arms and tie rods all had just a hint of play, couldn't find anything else to do to it other than an oil change because we didn't know how old it was, but it was clean.  The steering/suspension stuff really didn't need to be done, but he had me do it all to make it perfect.  If it served any purpose for me or I didn't already have so many vehicles I'd keep it, it's hard to find a cheap 16 year old vehicle this nice.

It's pretty tight against the boat so the damaged side is hard to get a good pic of, and I'm too lazy to car shuffle right now.  I haven't tried to sell it and have two locals that may want it, just been waiting for me to get the smog check and ABS fixed which I did yesterday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by superhawk996

The luxuries of being in SoCal, no rust.

I'm usually leery on 'selling' someone on a vehicle, but from everything I can tell this truck is a gem for the $.  If it was an HD with the big motor I'd keep it and sell my F-350, but something has to be able to tow that behemoth in the background.

And I don't know how common it is on these trucks, but this has the standard 4 wheel drive settings as well as a full time AWD setting, they call it "auto 4wd".  Probably pretty useful where there's often snow/ice/mud on the roads since it'll handle better than the normal locked 4WD will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vehicle shipping costs are all over the place.  If you can find someone already making the trip and having an empty spot vs. 'get it to me now' makes a big difference.

• Upvote 1

My kids are spoiled.

No. 1 (of red T100 fame) is getting transferred to Gary. He's been in the market for a truck. He wants something non-descript.  Sent it to him as well.

"No shortboxes".  

Really? Dang - it's a perfect mill truck.

Edited by XXitanium

Funny that both motors & trans options get nearly identical expected MPG.  Damnit, looking at those numbers is making me think I should keep the truck and sell my beloved Explorer.  Same MPG, lots more power & towing capability.  Add a good bed cover and it'll carry more shit.  Only real upside of the Ex is it's much easier to maneuver, especially since my parking is pretty tight.

I have two guys lined up to see it today, both being pretty damn serious, so I'm guessing it'll be outa my hair and thoughts soon.  But if you need something else to do with your cabin fever I'll tell you about the Cherokee or F-350 I'm also selling :-).  Neither being a smokin deal nor great daily drivers, so you'll have to wanna dream about climbing rock walls or driving over Prius.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...