CBR1100XX.org Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OMG

How does weather work

Question

Why am I freezing and Carlos basking?

Is it distance to the sun or hours of sunlight.

I don't believe it can be hours or places like Alaska and Sweden would be unbearably hot at times.

The percentage of difference of distance in Infinitely small given the sun being 93 million miles distant.

If it's distance, then I marvel at the incredible delicate balance this earth has.

11 answers to this question

Much has to do with solar activity (or inactivity).  Solar winds deflect cosmic rays, so lower activity lets more through.  I’m sure there’s some good material out there documenting the effects of solar activity and cosmic ray bombardment on global weather.

Second to this are ocean temperatures and currents...although those are strongly influenced by the prior factors listed above.

Altitude, winds, clouds, latitude, amount of things to absorb and hold solar energy, etc etc.  But the primary thing is that there's a huge difference in how much atmosphere is between you and the sun, and me and the sun, in winter.  There's less difference in summer, but still more for you.  That's a filter.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Altitude, winds, clouds, latitude, amount of things to absorb and hold solar energy, etc etc.  But the primary thing is that there's a huge difference in how much atmosphere is between you and the sun, and me and the sun, in winter.  There's less difference in summer, but still more for you.  That's a filter.

Did not end with AFAIKBZITE.

This post has been reported!

FUCK!

And yes, I got it.

Damn.

root# sort --random-sort $excuses.txt | head -n 1

solar flares

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

A very efficient filter

2 minutes ago, OMG said:

A very efficient filter

AFAIKBZITE, if it were not, we'd all be dead.

9 hours ago, Aunt Zero said:

Much has to do with solar activity (or inactivity).  Solar winds deflect cosmic rays, so lower activity lets more through.  I’m sure there’s some good material out there documenting the effects of solar activity and cosmic ray bombardment on global weather.

Second to this are ocean temperatures and currents...although those are strongly influenced by the prior factors listed above.

....meteorologist....

Just now, XXitanium said:

....meteorologist....

...pinned post with a list of talents?