CBR1100XX.org Forum

help to i.d. a mount

ptxyz

can anyone i.d. this mount?

came on the bike and i'm now wanting to add more pieces to use my phone for speedometer correction / gps etc.

parts guy at my local shop looked through a few of his catalogs and no dice...

i'm thinking of getting the whole ram schebang but would 1st like to learn what's already there.

IMG_1692.jpg

removal should be pretty simple, not quite visible is an allen bolt in the middle.  perhaps there's a model# or logo hidden in there.

i was contemplating removing a tab from this ram mount but, the ram part that would replace my existing mount is only a few bucks more.

Image result for ram mount

took awhile but, i did get the old mount out.  had to use several extensions to hold the nut hiding up inside the steering stem...  no clues as to it's origin however so i went ahead and got the entire ram mounting system.

was a bit more difficult than just following the instructions though, not that i'm particularly good at doing that...  the stem mount is designed for a consistent diameter hole and ours is narrower at the top (the "nut" that mimics the fairing bolts) and it steps a bit narrower and inch or two up from the bottom (widest down there).  one can use the assembly (minus their plastic nut capture thingy - f in the diagram) as shown in the instructions but, the tapered rubber (b), washer (c - used next to the nut only) and nut (d) need to come up from the bottom, instead of inserting the entire assembly from the top and relying on the rubber to expand as it's compressed.  i used a bit of quake putty to keep the washer on top of my socket as i gingerly guided it up the stem.

a few pics;

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

11 hours ago, ptxyz said:

need to come up from the bottom, instead of inserting the entire assembly from the top and relying on the rubber to expand as it's compressed.  i used a bit of quake putty to keep the washer on top of my socket as i gingerly guided it up the stem.

Thank heavens for context.  Looks like something out of Penthouse Letters.

• Upvote 1