CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is it OK to run Aviation Gas in my 2003 XX??

GadgetXX

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

...it's usually drier, thus less dense.

The 90 deg air is about 10 % less dense then 30 deg air. Humidity is pretty irrelevant .

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

E-10 should get less MPG and lower power than pure gas.

Agree on mpg , power - it depends. Old carb engines and early motorcycle efi without oxygen sensors will make less power , but modern engines will make more with increased ethanol content.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

And I think that colder air going into the engine can lower MPG also, only tested it once and it wasn't a perfect test.

Colder air has more oxygen so it would make more HP which would let you back of the gas peddle to drive the same mph there by using less gas.  That is how it played out in my head anyway. ☺️

21 minutes ago, tomek said:

Agree on mpg , power - it depends. Old carb engines and early motorcycle efi without oxygen sensors will make less power , but modern engines will make more with increased ethanol content.

They can make more hp if they are tuned to take advantage of it but I'm not sure that your average car is as mpg seems to have a higher priority than hp.

3 hours ago, tomek said:
10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

E-10 should get less MPG and lower power than pure gas.

How can E-10 make more power when it has lower BTU?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Colder air has more oxygen so it would make more HP which would let you back of the gas peddle to drive the same mph there by using less gas.  That is how it played out in my head anyway. ☺️

You're right, you can back off the peddle, but the air/fuel ratio should remain the same so that should make no difference.  Heat helps atomize the fuel so it burns more completely so cold air could have a negative effect on efficiency.

2 hours ago, tomek said:

It will adjust to correct afr, cat converter durability and emmisions are priority . EPA does not care for WOT operation.

I believe you contradicted your own statement about the system adjusting to make more power, or are you saying that the EPA doesn't care about WOT and therefore the system will adjust to optimize power?

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...it's usually drier, thus less dense.

High humidity actually decreases drag more so than temperature change.  But both are tiny changes you'd probably never notice in the real world.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Because afr is different. Stoich for for gasoline is 14.7 , for ethanol is much lower, something like 9-10 iirc. So the end result is more power. The other thing is heat of evaporation. It is couple times higher for ethanol plus you inject about 40-50 % more vs. gasoline. It lowers temps of intake charge better then gasoline. End result is denser charge inside of cylinders. That's about it. I'm out. You have nasty habit of twisting my posts, I'm tired of educating you.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The way I understand it is that the motor can make more HP because you can run more timing but you are burning more fuel.  I see it on new Mustangs that they run E-85 with a tune for it and make more power than gas.  Where it really shines is when you add boost.