CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is it OK to run Aviation Gas in my 2003 XX??

GadgetXX

I have a 2003 Cbr1100XX and am wondering if aviation gas will cause any issues. I am looking to use it while it is stored, not for everyday use. I do know that it has a small amount of lead in it, and am not sure if the XX has catalytic converter that would be harmed.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

Mike

Wouldn't it be easier just to run hi-test gas, and a fuel stabilizer? 

EDIT: as a Canadian, my bike/small engines are stored dead in a cold garage for months on end (without the battery) sometimes at temps close to -40.  Come spring they start right up. 

I just started up my snow blower, which as been sitting since March, I couldn't find the stupid "special" cord for the electric start. It took all of one pull to get it started. 

Sta-bil is your friend. 

Edited by JoWhee

50 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

Wouldn't it be easier just to run hi-test gas, and a fuel stabilizer? 

EDIT: as a Canadian, my bike/small engines are stored dead in a cold garage for months on end (without the battery) sometimes at temps close to -40.  Come spring they start right up. 

I just started up my snow blower, which as been sitting since March, I couldn't find the stupid "special" cord for the electric start. It took all of one pull to get it started. 

Sta-bil is your friend. 

That is what I have done in the past, but a friend of mine has it in bulk at his place for his plane. He thought it would store better for a longer time with it. Since he has it in bulk, it is about a $1 a gallon less for 100 octane compared to 91 (less than$5 difference per tank) I was just wondering if it would be better for storage.

I filled up a tank with 100 octane avgas in my SuperHawk once... the fuel cap seal leaked forevermore.  Something was incompatible with the rubber used, and I don't know that the fuel cap seal would be the only victim.  It could have been entirely coincidental, but it sort of swelled up and wrinkled.  YMMV.

There are no catalytic converters on that bike, so running it should improve throttle response especially at lower RPM, but be advised, there are no stabilizing additives in Aviation Fuel.

add Ste-bil for long term storage only,  in a full tank. at the beginning of your riding season, siphon off as much as possible and refill with regular unleaded ( it burns faster and hotter than premium pump gas) 

My 02. cents

I have a buddy who has a tank truck and delivers gas.

He had a chance to truck a load to a small engine manufacturer.

He took the job and was surprised when they ordered 6000 gals of av gas.
He asked why and they said they used it to put a splash in each engine to test fire it.

Any left over was allowed to remain in the system since it would evaporate harmlessly and leave no residue.
This was per the engine manufacturers engineers.

He had turbo bikes too and used av gas all the time.

For the short winter storage, I just make sure I have non-ethanol fuel in the tank.  Looks like you're in Nebraska, so guessing corn-free gas is as illegal as cocaine.  LOL.

Sta-bil or just about any fuel preservative.  I use Briggs & Stratten Fresh-start in the yard equipment and the drag-Bird.  It's cheaper than Sta-bil.

Edited by jon haney
  • Upvote 1

I once had a discussion with a mechanic at a museum that featured military vehicles. He reported that they had started buying AV gas by the tanker load. He said it stores as long as 4+ years. He went on to rant about modern blends being shit, and that none stored beyond a year even with stabilizer.

When I met him he was just finishing cleaning fuel off of his face from tank that had a load of fuel that had gone bad (not av gas). He was an expert at fuel systems by this point.

58 minutes ago, HANKSXXX said:

Any left over was allowed to remain in the system since it would evaporate harmlessly and leave no residue.

Race fuel must be the same stuff because years ago I left race gas in the fuel cell of my drag car that ended up sitting for some years.  When I did look, it was empty with no issues.

Pure gas is good stuff. However, Serfs must use fuel blended to the specifications outlined by our political elite. They know what's best for you.

First off, the octane of AVgas can't be compared to pump gas, different standards.  As for your bike and leaded gas, it might have catalytic converters.  I think if it's a 49 state model it doesn't, and if Ca. emissions it does, but not sure.  If it has O2 sensors those won't be happy with lead either, but one tank probably won't kill them.  From what I've read avgas is 'cleaner' and won't leave residues like street gas.

• 4 weeks later...

^^^ yea, check for O2 sensors, the CA models should have them.  Also, the 8th digit of the VIN is a 0 on 49-state, and a 1 for CA

Around here you can't find pure gas at the pump.   Basically only in quart/gallon cans, sold for small equipment.  Home depot/Lowes has Tru-fuel for about $6/qt or $20/gal.  Also comes pre-mixed at 40:1 or 50:1 for 2-stoke equip.

I started buying the premix for my new leaf blower.

Been using the blue marine Sta-bil in all my vehicles/bikes mower/snowblower with the pump blend and no issues so far.

4 hours ago, CBRXX said:

Been using the blue marine Sta-bil in all my vehicles/bikes mower/snowblower with the pump blend and no issues so far.

What made you decide to use the blue marine Sta-bil?  I have tried the different colors and haven't noticed any difference.  I looked on their web page but that really didn't help. 

18 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

What made you decide to use the blue marine Sta-bil?  I have tried the different colors and haven't noticed any difference.  I looked on their web page but that really didn't help. 

Good question, you're right, not sure a big difference.  I recall when it came out, It seemed to imply it was  formulated for the ethanol issue, however I note the red one says for use with ethanol blend too.     One thing I found, the bottle says to use the blue within 2 years of opening.  I noticed one I had for a while looked darker and had a smell to it, then I noticed that fine print and tossed it.    Website says red good for 24 months storage, and blue for 12 months.      So maybe blue is better for dealing with the ethanol in something used somewhat regular, and perhaps the red better for longer storage.

I use it in my Corvette, since it is driven infrequently, and in the bikes late fall to early spring when they too are not driven as much due to winter.   I should probably add it to my truck in summer, sometimes it goes a few weeks without being driven in nice weather.   For my lawnmower and snowblower, I always add it to the can when I buy gas, and only keep a 2.5 gal. can on hand.    I never drain them, just start them up every 6 weeks or so in their off season.   Mower has no shut off valve, but the snowblower does, so I always shut it and run it until it dies every use.

19 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

The blue stuff is for marine use and the red for land.  Blue in a land vehicle will blow it up and vice-versa.

Their website will tell you what each formula is for, but without telling how or why it works for any of the different applications.  I'm guessing there's no real difference other than color.  I don't even know that any of the different flavors of stabil do what they claim, but it's a feel good feeling so I've used it here & there.  The 'facts' on their website are pretty compelling, but then I read why the marine is so different from the land version and it's the usual "harsh corrosive marine environment crap" that's on every marine product.  My boat has a pair of the same engines that a car or truck would have and barring some minor tweaks for safety, the fuel systems are the same also.  It's also cute that the marine version is stated to protect against corrosion above and below the waterline…..um, yea.  The other odd thing is that the red is, or at least was, marketed as working for diesel and gas, but now they have a diesel specific formula.  Then again the red used to work perfectly for everything and now there's a few different flavors for specific uses.  I'd love to see a chemical breakdown of the 'active ingredients' on their stuff.  

31 minutes ago, CBRXX said:

One thing I found, the bottle says to use the blue within 2 years of opening.  I noticed one I had for a while looked darker and had a smell to it, then I noticed that fine print and tossed it.    Website says red good for 24 months storage, and blue for 12 months.

I wonder if anyone makes a stabilizer stabilizer.  I've had some old red stuff that turned dark and had a bit of a film on the bottom of the bottle.  That combined with their marketing doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the stuff.  I've also ignored stabilizing lots of stuff that's sat around for months and had no detectable issues.

3 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I wonder if anyone makes a stabilizer stabilizer.  I've had some old red stuff that turned dark and had a bit of a film on the bottom of the bottle.  That combined with their marketing doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the stuff.  I've also ignored stabilizing lots of stuff that's sat around for months and had no detectable issues.

Haha, yea, there is some irony in it going bad when it is supposed to keep gas from going bad!

My bikes and Mustang all carbed sit from Nov to March or April untouched every year.  I used to use just red stuff and had some minor issues here and there.  I started also adding some Sea Foam and the red stuff and haven't had a issue since.  So maybe it is the Sea Foam that is working but I don't want to find out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 6:59 PM, rc46 said:

the difference between the marine and regular is the marine releases a protective vapor to combat gas tank corrosion.

Didn't see that on their website, but if that's what they state I call double bullshit and I wanna see that statement so I know to not buy anything from them.  Tank corrosion happens on the bottom where water settles, vapors aren't gonna help.  I pulled the leaking aluminum tank out of the first boat I bought figuring I'd just epoxy the hole.  I cleaned it out and filled it with water to find the hole, it was raining all across the bottom.  I've since then looked inside several boat tanks and have never found corrosion anywhere but the bottom.

• 8 months later...