CBR1100XX.org Forum

Poorly Bird

spanishjohn

Hi all,

My beloved 2000 EFi has recently started showing some (electrical ?) issues, I have owned the bike since 2009 and did the loom fix in 2010, since then all was well apart from the usual charging system faults. The bike has done ~55K miles. Anyway, 2-3weeks ago i noticed the fuel pump wouldn't always prime when I turned on the ignition, or sometimes the starter wouldn't do anything, or I would get (random) FI error codes. Last week the engine cut out on me at 80mph for about 3 seconds before coming back to life!! When I got home I checked for FI error codes but none were present. This morning I used the bike again (I know!) and this time the FI light came on and stayed on. I will report the code when I get home, but the bike felt like I had full power, so probably not a major fault. I have removed and tested the bank angle sensor and that appears fine.

This weekend I intend to re-look at my loom-fix, but has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks Spanish

I'm guessing you did the ground loom fix (by the battery area) but have you done the power loom fix (under the tank by the fuel line?)  You're right to check electrical first, as that list of issues is probably electrical.  However, I've had a fuel pump fail, fuel injector fail, and corrosion on the connector at the coil, so don't look past those issues either.  I've seen a lot of stuff, as I have my bike I bought new, the dragbike which was a former stunt bike and was left outside, and a builder bike with an unknown history.

Don't forget to check the ground bolt beside the rear gas tank mount.  It can loosen, and give the same symptoms as when the wire loom gets corroded.

My kid complained about my 900F, had a main fuse that looked good to the eye, but had an open.  I rode it for a couple days. It would cut out randomly in traffic. I replaced it in the parking lot at a Hmong deli with a screw driver I borrowed from the owner. The kid had taken the tools out and not put them away.

Edited by XXitanium

40 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

My kid cpmplaoned about my 900F, had a main fuse that looked good to the eye, but had an open.  I rode it for a couple days. It would cut out rangomly in traffic. I replaced it in the parking lot at a Hmong deli with a screw driver I borrowed from the owner. The kid had taken the tools out and not put them away.

Lucky you weren't shot in the back by the deli owner white boy...

14 hours ago, spanishjohn said:

Hi all,

My beloved 2000 EFi has recently started showing some (electrical ?) issues, I have owned the bike since 2009 and did the loom fix in 2010, since then all was well apart from the usual charging system faults. The bike has done ~55K miles. Anyway, 2-3weeks ago i noticed the fuel pump wouldn't always prime when I turned on the ignition, or sometimes the starter wouldn't do anything, or I would get (random) FI error codes. Last week the engine cut out on me at 80mph for about 3 seconds before coming back to life!! When I got home I checked for FI error codes but none were present. This morning I used the bike again (I know!) and this time the FI light came on and stayed on. I will report the code when I get home, but the bike felt like I had full power, so probably not a major fault. I have removed and tested the bank angle sensor and that appears fine.

This weekend I intend to re-look at my loom-fix, but has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks Spanish

Consider switching over to carburation. Much more reliable...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 8:47 PM, XXBirdSlapper said:

Lucky you weren't shot in the back by the deli owner white boy...

That's your best work?

"The Garage

Discuss mechanical topics related to the XX such as maintenance, repairs, and synthetic oil flame wars."

48 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

That's your best work?

"The Garage

Discuss mechanical topics related to the XX such as maintenance, repairs, and synthetic oil flame wars."

Yes. You were flamed. By those Hmung us.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2017 at 7:59 AM, poida said:

Hi Spanish,easy checks to do would be check the contacts on the kill switch and checking the loom fix.im sure more knowledgeable members will be able to suggest other possible checks 

2000's are beautiful.  Titanium.  EFI and clocks.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, RichardCranium said:

I understand them just fine. They are the devils fuel delivery systems.

Yeah, carbretors suck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RXX said:

Yeah, carbretors suck.

No fuel pump, no sensors, no computer, no FPR, no elecronics/electrical shit to worry about.  Them carbs is the devil's work!

But EFI is pretty spectacular as long as it's working properly and it's generally reliable, but so are carbs.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, David I Blade said:

Hi , Just bought a 2007 and wonder what the wiring loom fix is. 

----

AFAIKBZITE;

I don't think it was a problem on other model years, just 2000 and some 2001's.

Coils breaking down maybe?

3082966_640px.jpg

I think '01 and up were all the same, not sure.  They're less susceptible to corrosion than the '99 & '00, but my '01 fell victim a couple years ago.

Generally the FI light will at least flicker when the loom is acting up, sometimes dimly/quickly so it may not be obvious in daylight.  When mine first started showing signs hitting the kill switch off-on fixed it so I figured it was the switch contacts, which can also act up.  I assume there was a little bit of resistance in the switch adding to the growing resistance of the loom because the problems started coming back quickly, then got real bad.  I checked the computer for fault codes and it had a bunch.  Knowing that the loom is a common connection to all the sensors I finally cut into it and it was pretty bad.

BTW, we're calling it the loom, harness, etc., I think the proper term is 'check connector' or something like that.  All of the sensor grounds come together at that connector so when the resistance goes up from corrosion you can get several fault codes.  Under the seat near the ECU is a two wire connector, you put a wire in it to connect those to each other and the FI light will flash the fault codes.

• Upvote 1