CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ok, bought a stem mount a long while back that won't work on the bird, or my 1000rr. Ditching the cordless detector for a hardwired version that works better but need a mount. I remember Hobie had a good piece of hardware, but with all the bugs, grime, oil, and soot on his bike I don't recall exactly how it looked.

Who has the line on hardware for this?

4 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

At NeXXT 17 one of the guys had a magnetic mount on a Ram ball mount.  I ordered one.

Just stuck to the tank?

Look at the opening pic of the OffroadXX video posted on page 2 of the attached thread.  Its a Ram mount attached to the handlebar.  On the business end of the ram mount is a flat mount with a magnet.  A plate glues to the radar detector (or other device) for quick attachment/detachment.  There are numerous ways to attach the suport end of the Ram mount to the motorcycle.

Looked at some mounts at cycle gear tonight. Non would work. They did have a magnetic mount but then I lose the option of having a tank bag. There has to be a better mount. I could machine my own but that's too much for me right now with time at a premium. Thought about simply making a mounting plate and drilling holes through the triple tree top ...

I keep my Redline inside the very top of my tank bag.  It's high enough to clear the dash and receive a signal from about 270* around it.  While the bag doesn't lock, it does come off in one swift motion and fits in my OEM Honda hard bag, which locks.  It is not externally visible, so if I do meet the Man, he won't see it and give me the "professional speeder" enhancement.  Audio goes BT to the iPhone and subsequently to the Sena, with no external cues.  There is a slight delay - probably not quite a half second - but in my experience, the only time that would count is in an instant-on encounter, and if you're the target, a half second probably won't save you any money anyways.  Obviously, the laser detection is blind through the nylon, but I have a separate solution for that.

19 hours ago, IcePrick said:

It is not externally visible, so if I do meet the Man, he won't see it and give me the "professional speeder" enhancement.

I've been let off a couple times, had my written speed reduced from real speed, additional infractions ignored, etc. and assume if there was a detector visible they'd be less likely to do that.  Flipside is I may not have had to have those conversations with a detector in play.  A hidden one seems the best way to go.

If a tank bag is out, how bout mounting it under the nose?  Obviously it would have to be wired to external speakers/headset, but it's always there and unlikely to be seen.

I generally drive at my own decided prudent speed, which is usually above posted, sometimes well above posted.  I haven't been pulled over in many years, don't know if it's luck, being observant, or what.  Last time it happened was in Az and the way it happened tells me it was only because I had a Ca license plate, first and last time I go to Az without removing it.  I was also stuck in a pack of cars doing the same speed and was likely being less observant because of it.  The cop had to peel the tailgater off of me but wouldn't acknowledge that he singled me out for any particular reason, "I can only stop one of you" was his answer.  At least online traffic school for Az was fairly cheap & easy, in Ca you have to pay the full fine plus a traffic school priveledge fee and whatever the school charges.  IIRC the Az ticket was reduced to a small 'clerical fee' after doing the school, Ca stopped doing that a million years ago.

I once had such a device in the cowl of the XX, right on top of the headlight.  It had to be removed from the housing and put in a heat seal bag to fit.  It escaped a close inspection by VA State Police, who detected it with an RDD subsequent to a traffic stop.  Fortunately, I had an early Sirius receiver with me which was known to trigger RDDs, and I went on my way with no penalty for 86/65.  I couldn't tell him that I was going over a ton when I first saw him - I grabbed the brakes when I saw him in the median, about a full second before the detector went 10/10.  That was literally a visual save, but he still assumed I had a detector, which his RDD backed up.  It was a really interesting speed encounter from a lot of different angles, both what he perceived that was correct for the wrong reasons and incorrect for the right reasons.  And the verbal interaction was great - "You have a radar detector".  "I do" - so my tone went up a half octave on the last letter of my statement; it was technically not a mistruth.

I have several anti-enforcement measures on the XX, from a very advanced laser jammer, to a software modified Redline to stealth IR coatings.  I've found the best defense is simply to ride with a measure of maturity - know that there is a time and a place, don't do stupid shit that draws the Man into your life, and be aware of the threat landscape - shift changes, jurisdictional lines, likely enforcement spots, limitations of enforcement hardware, and of the law.  Even then, the odds will probably catch up with you eventually, but at that point it has to be considered "back rent" and one can be repentant with a smile... recalling all the good times and how little each of them cost per dose.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Even then, the odds will probably catch up with you eventually, but at that point it has to be considered "back rent" and one can be repentant with a smile... recalling all the good times and how little each of them cost per dose.

Great line.

Interestingly I was in a vehicle with a redline operating. Approaching a known speed trap location I was overtaking a semi in the rt lane and decided to move into the lane directly to his left. As I overtook him, i began to pickup a radar signal and let off the throttle. Still passing on momentum I saw the trap in the median to the left. The redline went 100% and I feathered the brakes to the point that I was slowly overtaking the semi. The semi was 15mph over, and traffic here routinely is 20+ over. At that moment I received a full laser warning and braked harder. I swear that dude had both. And he may have visually noted my overtaking the semi when the radar locked on the truck. Interestingly, he didn't come after me. Thought for sure when I got lasered It was a stop for sure.

4 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

Excellent thread, what is a good answer for a Barney Fife cop with no understanding of how fast and relatively easy to control a 10 second sportbike can be when he asks something like, "Do you understand how easily you could be killed going that fast"? 

That is simple. "Officer, I don't believe I was going that fast. Not trying to argue with you but I was keeping with the flow of traffic cause being on a motorcycle its not safe to have cars and trucks stacked up on your ass.."...

4 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Interestingly I was in a vehicle with a redline operating. Approaching a known speed trap location I was overtaking a semi in the rt lane and decided to move into the lane directly to his left. As I overtook him, i began to pickup a radar signal and let off the throttle. Still passing on momentum I saw the trap in the median to the left. The redline went 100% and I feathered the brakes to the point that I was slowly overtaking the semi. The semi was 15mph over, and traffic here routinely is 20+ over. At that moment I received a full laser warning and braked harder. I swear that dude had both. And he may have visually noted my overtaking the semi when the radar locked on the truck. Interestingly, he didn't come after me. Thought for sure when I got lasered It was a stop for sure.

Having a big truck around that is going slower than you is always a good thing.  I always try to use them when going through often targeted areas.

Modern RADAR units can track two targets and display the faster and slower speeds.  It is up to the operator to visually discern which is which and be able to provide viable testimony to that effect.  

I have a couple thoughts on the radar/laser encounter: first, the operator may not have had a dual-speed unit, and feared a court challenge considering the disparity of the size of the bike vs. the truck on the radar return.  So he picked up his handy laser to single you out, but failed to get a good shot because he wasn't prepared for it.

Or, he just had his radar running constantly and was using his laser exclusively due to the heavy traffic, but didn't get a good shot on you.  I see this with surprising frequency, and I think it's hysterical - like a sniper wearing international orange to anyone with a decent detector.     

When I bought my XX it came with a Valentine detector and a home made mount. The prior owner welded a pedestal and plate to the OEM front brake fluid reservoir cover. He then put male velcro on the plate and female velcro on the underside of the Valentine.

If you are just looking for a basic mount use RAM stuff. I have RAM balls on all of my bikes. For the XX I have one of the brackets to bolts to the clutch/brake bracket and I also made a mount that goes all the way thru the steering head. That thread is around here somewhere.

I'll see if I can find it. For the base I just use a ram base and put velcro on it. If Im going on a long ride or just want it to be extra secure I use a cheapo elastic headband. I live with 3 females so those are easy to source.

Here is the old thread. It doesn't show much detail on how I mounted the ball.

Its just a piece of all-thread with a fender washer and two nuts on the bottom and  I think I have two nuts on the top with a washer in the middle. The bottom nut sits in the hex opening in the steering stem. Then I just screwed a ram ball on it.

Thanks for posting the steering head mount concept. I read that long ago but forgot it. Going to try to adapt the stem mount I bought to this system. Guess while looking at the socket head on the bike I didn't take note that it was a thru hole.

On 9/29/2017 at 1:18 AM, XXBirdSlapper said:

That is simple. "Officer, I don't believe I was going that fast. Not trying to argue with you but I was keeping with the flow of traffic cause being on a motorcycle its not safe to have cars and trucks stacked up on your ass.."...

What if you're out in the middle of nowhere?

46 minutes ago, silverbird1100 said:

What if you're out in the middle of nowhere?

Without other traffic bend over and take it.....hard