CBR1100XX.org Forum

5 hours ago, Redbird said:

Now, you might be asking yourself why I'm being such an asshole about this. The reason is this is a searchable technical/reference forum and the the preference is to not have bad or questionable advice laying around unchallenged for someone to stumble across weeks, months or years from now.

This is often in my mind, seems many people don't consider it or are just stuck on spewing their ignorance, defending themselves, attacking others, etc.  I've gotten shit on other forums for challenging or correcting stupid stuff and it seems that few understand that leaving these poisonous crumbs around for someone to pick up isn't good.

I'll just chime in on DOT 5.

I remember hearing that it was superior to 3 and 4, but more "high maintenance" (didn't remember why at the time).  Since most people don't bother to flush and fill brake systems every year, it's not ideal for anything short of use by either enthusiasts and/or high-performance vehicles where owners don't mind spending the $$$ for the extra maintenance.

14 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

This is often in my mind, seems many people don't consider it or are just stuck on spewing their ignorance, defending themselves, attacking others, etc.  I've gotten shit on other forums for challenging or correcting stupid stuff and it seems that few understand that leaving these poisonous crumbs around for someone to pick up isn't good.

Yeah, it's something I wasn't always conscious of. One of the downfalls of being around here for so long is I've posted some pretty stupid shit in the last 15 years and it's all still here. :unsure:

And because I was instrumental in derailing this thread, I'll try to help get it back on track.

Slapper, years ago I helped a couple members install the Speigler kit mentioned earlier in this thread on their bikes. It replaces all the rubber lines and leaves the hard lines in place, I think the Hel kit was similar (come to think of it, one of the ones I did might have been Hel). If either kit is still available that would be the way to go if you want to keep the LBS, IMO.

I delinked mine and that might be a better option just for simplicity's sake at this point if you can live without the LBS. All you'll need is three lines and a drill, I think instructions and pics are still up in the useful threads section. If not, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1

I installed a Hel kit on my '03. If memory serves me right, I am pretty sure it required me to remove all of the hardlines on the bike and replace them with full length runs of hose. It was a bit if a hassle, but relatively doable.  A bike lift is very helpful in the install.  I think ( not 100% sure ), the Spiegler kit lets you keep the hard lines.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toynutt said:

I installed a Hel kit on my '03. If memory serves me right, I am pretty sure it required me to remove all of the hardlines on the bike and replace them with full length runs of hose. It was a bit if a hassle, but relatively doable.  A bike lift is very helpful in the install.  I think ( not 100% sure ), the Spiegler kit lets you keep the hard lines.

That rings a bell and I think I installed that kit on Peter's (BirdieXX, good dude) bike. Was there some sort of group buy back around then?

I know I did at least one of the rubber line only replacement kits but I can't remember whose bike it was.

• Like 1

My kit used the existing hard lines.  Perhaps the trick is they must know the length and type of each line to use the existing hard lines...otherwise, it's easier to make X lines long enough to replace the whole run.

• Like 1

Friend of mine installed a SS clutch hose and it really fucked up the launch on his VMAX. Went from nice and progressive when coming out of the hole to very sudden engagement. I viewed it as a major step in the wrong direction. Anyone find that on the Bird?

Since I have the front end apart I will check the hardline connections more closely. Honestly I never really paid attention to them, beyond a safety inspection.

12 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Friend of mine installed a SS clutch hose and it really fucked up the launch on his VMAX. Went from nice and progressive when coming out of the hole to very sudden engagement. I viewed it as a major step in the wrong direction. Anyone find that on the Bird?

Mine has a SS clutch hose and I have no complaints.  Been so long since I rode a stocker I can't say how different it is if any difference.

I can see where if someone got used to launching a certain way then made a change he'd have to change how he launches.

That wasn't really an option. Real sudden engagement, extremely small movement that didn't allow for controlled slipping off the line. If it had been mine I would have removed it.

We did have a group buy way back in the day.  I got a set with "plus 2 inch" .  They are still in the box and I hope to do some day.   Really need them to install the superbike bar kit I got from JoWhee, that is also still in the box.    Not at all looking forward to the job, which is why it hasn't been done.

Heh, I wonder how much stuff that's passed through my hands is now sitting in your garage. There's that monoblock/brembo setup mention earlier in the thread (along with the rest of that motorcycle), a good chunk of Hugo's old bike, and I think you ended up with some of the pieces of my '01.

Beyond the fitment issues, whatever those may be, that bike is about 200 125 pounds lighter than an XX. So you'd need new springs, which would necessitate reworking the valving, then you get to start over on tuning it. Of course you'd be getting the suspension and the brakes for whatever you had to put into adapting the suspension, but still, it would be an ambitious project fraught with peril.

Be sure to post pics. :D

edited to correct some bad math.