CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB: DC Power Supply

Never heard of one with that kinda voltage, whatcha building?  I think all it would take is some diodes to make something that would give you 120v DC from an AC outlet.  DC is deadly stuff so be careful whichever route you take, I wanna say 40v is about the 'safe' limit with DC but don't recall for sure.

You keep saying no less, but that implies anything more, which doesn't really make sense.  What is the upper limit?  I have a 0-140 variac, which could have a rectifier added.  How long do you need it for?

Do you understand the difference between true DC and rectified AC?  And if you do, do you care for this project?  If not, you need to think about it.

First off, we found one.  Thanks for the replies and offers.

Bullroarer designed the controller and needed to run a 24 hour test on it to determine durability.  Can't run it on the battery system that long for a variety of reasons.  So we were going bench test it here where it could be babysat for 24 hours straight.  

I said "no less" in reference to the maximum voltage needed, not "no less" as in the device must be unable to supply a voltage less than 60.  Where are the grammar nazi's when they are needed? :D

So you need exactly 60v?  Otherwise "no less than" is the same as "no more than."

And again, if you know about and can account for pulse DC, that's fine, but if you aren't thinking about it you should be.

Its necessary that it be able to supply 60 volts.  If it can supply any other voltage, that's great.  I don't know the specs of the unit he procured.

The controller takes the battery current and turns it into pulsed DC.  So the power supply should be linear, as a battery.  I presume in the actual application there are caps to regulate the input to the controller.

Do you have an oscilloscope to look?  Power supplies vary in cleanliness.  It takes a LOT of effort and cost to make a true pure DC power supply, so the question becomes...how much noise can your device tolerate?  If you have a battery pack, running the pack in parallel with the power supply makes it nearly perfect (assuming a charged or nearly-charged pack).

I'd also love to hear more about the project.

• Upvote 1

Clean well conditioned power. I watched an expensive UPS system fry (two days in s row) on a 480v gen set.  Once you let the smoke out, it is impossible to put it back in.

...something about the shape of the sine wave combined with digital controllers.

Edited by XXitanium