CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike pops in and out of 4th gear

Wetzel

The clutch or rod can't cause a gear to pop out.

If the clutch were dragging and you weren't shifting carefully it could cause the damage that then causes the gear to pop, but fixing the clutch won't fix the gears.

Does it jump out when you apply the throttle (under power), or after you let off the throttle?

If under power, it could be badly worn engagement dogs on that gear, which can also lead to a bent shift fork.

If when you let off the throttle, the groove in the shift drum that guides the fork could be worn.

What ever it is, you will likely have to split the cases.

It pops out when throttle is applied. If I let off it will jump back in to gear.  

Splitting the case is not what I wanted to hear. However, I just happen to have an extra motor and trans sitting in my house. 

jon haney;

I believe is exactly right, look at this way, you now have a winter project for those cold wet days you really cant ride. I hope you know the condition of the  "extra Motor" LOL or its going to be a labor intensive and expensive winter, let us know how it turnes out

Good luck

Send the spare trans to Fast by Gast for an under-cut treatment.  It will never give you problems again.  They did my dragbike trans 7 years ago, and I have never missed a shift or had it come out of gear.  Went 20K street miles and then 8 racing seasons on the stock trans, so it was hammered pretty bad.