CBR1100XX.org Forum

landing legs for stop/starts on my 99 bbird

torideagain

Welcome

I don't have the skills required.

Do you have plans for what you want? 

Or are you looking for a ground up design?

This information would certainly help.

And maybe a description of your limitations.

We have had a few members who required some type of help due to health / injury.

Edit,

Have youSeen this one ?

Edited by redxxrdr

Send a PM to Byrdman. Not that he's the fabricator you want, but he's the guy here with "landing leg" experience. He set up a 900RR for another board member and I was lucky enough to be there for some of the testing. It worked but I don't believe it ever reached the point it was reliable/user friendly enough for use on the street by an actual disabled person.

Not to discourage you, but the bottom line is designing, building, installing and testing a streetable system from scratch is going to be a pretty advanced engineering and fabrication project. You're going to need either deep pockets, a very handy dude who likes you a lot, or possibly both. Regardless, I wish you the best of the luck with your project.

31 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Our old Stan comes to mind when thinking about someone who seemed to be able to do anything they put their mind to.

Also, Todd went a different route and installed a sidecar.

They are out there, and might be another option.

1 hour ago, redxxrdr said:

Also, Todd went a different route and installed a sidecar.

Byrdman's efforts were for Todd and the mods were done to his 900RR. There's video of him riding it in a parking lot around here somewhere. It did work and he was able to start and stop unaided in that controlled environment, but it was too sketchy to be trusted on public roads. But then again, Todd's disability might be more extreme that the original poster's here.

There's a guy that used to show up to the local dragstrip that had these on his bike and they worked great.  I think they were actuated with an air cylinder but not sure.  From memory it was basically a U shaped tube with wheels on the ends mounted behind the shock and when retracted they just pivoted rearward 90 degrees or so.  He had no legs so someone would put him on the bike and off he went.  Bastard always beat me, the weight advantage gave him a leg up on the competition.

It seems it wouldn't be terribly hard to fab up.

31 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Thinking about it many people would quickly go to a trike or can am spyder. Then you watch this vid of the same guy riding and realize the need to ride and still lean over. 

Pretty slick designs he has incorporated into a modern bike to assist him. 

His plate is also a nice touch... reads I'm Back

• 2 weeks later...